Winter's fast approaching, if Colorado weather is any indication. My race is fast approaching too. While I always take time off after a race, it's also important to stay active during the holidays. Holidays can add extra stress, and I am affected by the dark afternoons. I didn't like them when I was a kid, but the older I've gotten, the more crabby I am with the lack of sunshine.
I do intend to enjoy the holidays, and December is usually when things kick off. November doesn't really feel special until Thanksgiving, so I have a little bit of time to take my break from cardio, but then I plan to start easy workouts again.
1) My treadmill came! Shoutout to my dad who put it together. I got to test it out yesterday for my taper run, and it's quite nice. It's down in the basement, which is now open to the cat, but she didn't join me. I don't think she likes the pounding sound of running on the machine. I'll runfess too, I got my Christmas playlist out, you know, to break it in.
2) Pure Barre. Of course. I like the at-home workouts, and it's important for me to keep up with my strength training in the off-season.
3) Yoga. I know it's at the very end of training, but I've started doing some yoga for stress release. I'm under stress at the moment, and even though mentally I feel fine, my body is telling me it's needs some TLC. The yoga routine isn't complex at all, but it's good for me to slow down at the end of the day, and do this routine. It's slow, I focus on breathing, and it's been getting me ready for bed. I've fallen asleep faster the nights I've done it.
4) Fun activities. Remember how I said I intend to enjoy the holidays? My mom and I are signed up for a cooking class at Sur la Table in December, and the class's focus is chocolate. Yes please!
5) Rest when I need to. It's not good to be burnt out either, so between easy workouts, and rest, I think I'll be able to get through the holidays having a fun time. I'm not moving this year, which make Christmas even more fun. I don't have to pack everything up, get the moving company, and drug Allie for the car ride.
Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.