Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Why I'm Sticking With 10k Races

With training kicking off last week, and fall just around the corner, it's time for another round of 10k training.  Today's topic is how will my running change this fall, but it's pretty basic that I'll be training after not training in the summer.  I decided to put a small spin and talk about why I like 10ks, and their training cycles.


A BIG reason I'm doing 10ks is because it's what I can do with my knee right now, but I'm also having the most fun I've had since training for my first half.  My first half was a challenge, and I embraced it all.  Then I felt like I kind of had to keep it up since I'd already done one, and by the time I did my last half, I wasn't having much fun.  I can have fun with a 10k, and still push myself in training.

Speaking of that training, I can switch runs around if I need to, like yesterday, and I have a flexible enough schedule.  If I have to miss a run, it's not the end of the world either.  I panicked every time I had to miss a run during half marathon training, due to life happening.  Life is busy, and whether it's something social I wanted to do over training, or work was stressful and I need to rest, I'd stress out if I missed a run.  Now I know it's not too bad, and if I have to miss a run, I'm most likely missing a 2-mile run during the week instead of 5 miles.

A lot of race series are adding 10k races too, so I get all the fun of traveling to fun places and get great medals (most of the time).  I started noticing when Disney was adding 10ks, I wanted those medals so much more than the half marathon medals.  I'm still quite jealous of those who have done the Minnie Mouse 10k at Disney World.  I don't know when, but some day I'll do that race just for the medal.  I mean heck, I signed up for the Tinkerbell 10k just for the medal, and then I had a blast that weekend.






Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

18 comments:

  1. I've been noticing that about the medals too! A lot of 10k medals are really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Works for me! I like the medals better and I still get a good training cycle.

      Delete
  2. I started running in January and so far have done 10 races, mostly 10ks. I am thinking of training for a Half later on in the year, but I am finding I love the 10k distance and the training that goes with it. Having so much fun. Will definitely try the Half but at least for now I think 10ks will be my number 1 love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started running, there weren't that many 10k's, but I love that they're making a come back.

      Delete
  3. I like 10ks -- but there aren't actually that many around here. It's been a while since I did one!

    I've gotten better at missing a workout when it's necessary even for half training. I don't like to do it, but I don't stress about it that much anymore either. Better to miss a workout than overtrain or get sick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I had to learn not to stress about it, and it would even be more beneficial to have an extra rest day.

      Delete
  4. I like 10k's,too, but they are very rare in my area. It's a great distance because it's long enough to work your endurance and short enough that you can throw in a little bit of speed. The training is far less of a time commitment in comparison to 13.1, so that's a huge perk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I know a half isn't as involved as a full, but I still felt like I was losing my Saturdays as my runs got longer for half marathon training.

      Delete
  5. Before halfs became the "it" distance, there were so many more 10ks around here. I'm glad to see 10ks coming back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I had the hardest time finding a 10k for my first half marathon corral placement. Now they're so many to choose from.

      Delete
  6. Kudos to you for recognizing the "right" distance for you, at least right now. Stick with what you know is best and don't fall into the trap of FOMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get FOMO when I was doing halfs. I had all these plans about the next race, and the next. I felt like I had to keep going.

      Delete
  7. After getting my first DNF at last weekend's 10k, idk if I ever want to do one again! JK. I love that distance. I just need to behave myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did well too listening to your body.

      Delete
  8. I like your reasoning behind all of this! 10K's really are fun and training is doable without all the stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's still a challenge, but I'm not using up so much time training for it.

      Delete
  9. You make me want to reconsider the 10k. I don't think I've ever actually "trained" for a 10k. Sure, I've done a few - as part of half or full training - but never as the focus of training. I used to say it was my least favorite distance to race, but maybe I need to change my outlook. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be quite fun. I'm happy to stick with the distance.

      Delete