Tuesday, September 12, 2017

That Whole New Schedule Thing

I wrote back during the summer that I was switching up my running during the week to Mondays and Wednesdays, and it was going well.  Now it's not.  This is the second week I've switched up my weekday runs and pushed my Monday run to Tuesday.  Last week was due to air quality on Monday, and Tuesday's high was going to be 70.  This week I switched around Monday and Tuesday because I woke up at 4:30 yesterday morning, for no reason.  Certainly no good reason.  I felt exhausted, so when I got home, I threw dinner in the crock pot, and did some easy strength exercises.

Watching me make dinner
I'm also starting to think one day in between won't be enough to recover from my long runs.  This Saturday is 4 miles, and then I have a couple recovery weeks.  A 2-mile run on Saturday, then a 2-mile run Monday is OK, but I need more recovery time after a 4-mile run.  So, I'm back to contemplating what the best schedule is.  I always like Tuesday/Thursday, but the summer weeks were tough on Thursdays, July especially.  Now that the weather should be improving, I can go home, relax if I need to, then head out for 2 or 3 miles.

The good news is, if I do go back to Tuesday/Thursday, I'll be back on schedule with what my training plan calls for.  My last run before flying to Vegas will be on Thursday, instead of Wednesday.  I was worried about what I was going to do, with Thursday, Friday, and Saturday as rest days, but now it could only be Friday and Saturday.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

14 comments:

  1. The schedule is always a hard puzzle. I kind of have my ideal week but I often end up having to move things around during the week. As long as you get it all done, I think switching up the schedule as needed is ok :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is switching it again lines it up as the training plan is written.

      Delete
  2. I seldom ever stick to a rigid schedule. Sure, I have a plan, and I follow it most of the time, but there are always thing coming up. I think if you keep your weekly cumulative mileage consistent, i=things usually balance out (if you need to swap some running days around)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly I'm using this as a guide for my long runs, but it's good to know what I should do during the week.

      Delete
  3. I'm always adjusting on the fly, so to speak. I was running 3 days in a row, and that seemed fine . . . until it didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monday/Wednesday was working during the summer. Now it's not. Hmmmm.

      Delete
  4. My schedule is a little all over the place right now. So much to do before I head to Berlin. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Berlin is almost here. I hope you have a great time!

      Delete
  5. I like running on Tues/Thurs/Sat when Im doing 3 days a week. At least 1 day in between to recover is good plus its an extra day after my weekend run. However, I really like starting out the week with a run on Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I have that Monday feeling, it does feel good to kick off the week with a run. Tues/Thurs/Sat just seem better.

      Delete
  6. I tend to run Tues-Thurs-Sat-Sun with a long run on Sundays. CrossFit is Tuesday-Thursday. I don't have a ton of flexibility in my schedule due to my work. The one thing I can play around with is yoga. Ideally, I do Monday-Weds, but if need be, I can move things around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that I can move things around, but this week means needing to run on the same day as a chiropractor appointment. It's two miles, but I'll get home later than normal.

      Delete
  7. Your new schedule sounds like a good plan!! I usually try to get in my two weekday any day of the week that works for me, it just depends what is going on with each day. Sadly, it's never consistent! Hah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to make it consistent so I know what's expected each day, but I do have some flexibility if I need it.

      Delete