Sunday, September 3, 2017

Monday Musings 9/4

One more day for the long weekend!  Did anybody race this weekend?  I have family friends who ran at Disneyland, and my oh my, those temps looked awful.  One posted it was 81 at 4:30am Sunday for the half marathon.  Holy cow!  I keep thinking it would be fun to do the Labor Day race weekend, but then I see temps like that.  That's more like Texas heat with it being that warm that early in the morning.

Helping with recovery
Training started this week for RnR, so one week down, 10 to go.   At the moment, since I'm doing low mileage, I'm trying to do these runs without Rock Tape.  I know at some point I'll want that security blanket, but I'm trying not to rely on it too much.  So far, each of my 2-mile runs have felt good, but they've also all been on the treadmill.  It's been warm this week, and then this weekend, we had haze thrown into the mix.  I did my run Saturday on the treadmill, and I could still feel how bad the air quality was that day.

I did do some shopping though, and that was fun.  I bought a stability ball since I'm slowly building a home-gym, and I inflated it Sunday to use during my strength training.  I haven't been happy with my low abs, despite the work I'm doing, and I was looking for new ideas.  I haven't used a stability ball since I canceled my gym membership, and it was time I get one.


I also bought a new running belt.  My other one keeps riding up, and it's so bad, I don't want to run with it anymore.  The new one has straps that aren't elastic, so I'm hoping that'll solve the issue.  It has one bigger bottle instead of two smaller ones, and the bottle holder is in the back.  I'm looking forward to testing it out.


The best purchase of the weekend though was from Sur la Table.  My family is so not into pumpkin, but Sur la Table has their apple collection out, including baking mixes for apple cider donuts.  OMG, these are the best, when they're straight out of the oven.  The person ringing up my purchase gave me a tip too, to take a Granny Smith, chop it up small, caramelize the chunks, and throw them into the batter.  I've got to try that.

*****

Monday: 2 miles

Tuesday: Pure Barre at home

Wednesday: 2 miles

Thursday: rest day

Friday: lower body strength

Saturday: 2 miles

Sunday: 30 minutes bike, whole body strength


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up, with guest host Teresa.

20 comments:

  1. Oh, those apple cider donuts sound yummy - is the recipe for baking or frying? I've had a stability ball forever and it's very useful. The knee tucks and roll-outs will work your abs for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's for baking. They have donut pans too, and had a display near the front.

      Delete
  2. Woohoo! And so it starts. Good job with your first week of training. Those donuts look amazing! Since the weather has cooled off, I am in the mood for all things fall related. Apple cider, comfort food, cozy clothes....bring it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the above! It'll still be warm here for a bit, but I have my sweatshirts ready to go.

      Delete
  3. I did race this weekend and you can read all about that debacle. Apple cider donuts sound perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, and I'm so sorry! You did the right thing though, as tough as it always is to admit defeat.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a productive week! Those donuts sound amazing :) I look forward to hearing how they taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I haven't had them in a while but I can't wait.

      Delete
  5. Those Disneyland temps sounded crazy! I felt so bad for those poor runners! Great job this week! Hope you enjoy the new belt and that yummy sounding mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do well in heat, and I always think it would be fun. I think a 10k would be OK in those temps, but not a half.

      Delete
  6. Stability balls are great! I use mine to do pull ins. I get in the "up" position of a push up with my feet on the ball. Then I pull the ball in so my knees tuck into my belly. Very good exercise not only for abs but arms/chest too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do those, and then I think they're called jackknives. Same push up position, but you keep you legs straight and move your butt up, so you're in an inverted V.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on a great week! I need to start doing pure barre at home.

    Totally agree with you about Disney - those temps were out of control (I think the 'real feel' was 109). I think I would have ended up walking the entire race lol

    Those apple cider donuts looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much easier to do more Pure Barre when I'm at home. It fits my schedule.

      Delete
  8. Home gym project sounds brilliant. And also so convenient! Good luck with this new training cycle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is convenient. When the weather's bad in the winter, I can just walk downstairs to the basement. No shoveling snow, no dangerous roads. Just stairs.

      Delete
  9. ooooh, those apple cider donuts sound awesome! I have decided that all racing belts hate my body (realistically, it is probably my body that is the issue, since the same issue happens with every belt I've ever tried LOL). I will be late starting my Vegas R'n'R training...hoping when I get the green light, I can do the 5K on the 30th, a 5-miler a few weeks later (mid-October), then hopefully get up to 8-9 miles before Vegas. Not ideal, but I'm hoping to just do the race with ZERO lofty goals on finish time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me during my last half. I could only walk for training, and I did 8 miles max. I walked the whole half and just wanted to finish.

      Delete
  10. Great job on week 1. :-) Hope the new running belt works for you! I have a flipbelt that I love! I don't have any water bottles for it, but they started making some after I bought mine that slide right into the belt. Enjoy the rest of your training!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First test run and it wasn't too bad. It was a little loose, but I worked on that after the run.

      Delete