Friday, September 8, 2017

Getting Ready for Fall

After my run outside Tuesday, I'm aching for fall.  We still have warm temps, and wildfires in the state, and others, is wreaking havoc with the air quality.  Thankfully Tuesday was 68 when I got home, and the air wasn't too bad.  I used my inhaler to be safe, and knocked off the 3 miles I had on my schedule.  I'm still playing around with intervals, but I felt like I could go further than 3 miles, which made me feel good.


I'm still shopping for Halloween, and my latest purchase is a Jim Shore figurine of Tinkerbell, from the Disney Store.  I need to find a safe place to put her, due to the cat, and I'm thinking I'll take her into work.  Allie is normally good when it comes to stuff like this, but I'm not taking any chances.  There is also a Tinkerbell witch figurine, but I liked this one better.  I like that her hat looks like candy corn, but the pumpkin and coloring means I can have her out for most of the fall season.

More Halloween and Christmas movies are arriving.  My mom put in an order to Amazon, and I asked for the Witches of Eastwick and Elf.  I've been watching Elf for years, either on ABC Family or Netflix, and just like Hocus Pocus, it was time to buy it.  I haven't seen Witches of Eastwick in years, but it sounded good to add to the Halloween collection.


The second week of training has been going well.  I've added a couple more songs to my playlist, and they work really well.  I tested it out yesterday during my 2-mile run.  I didn't know if the run would happen because I got stung by a yellow jacket yesterday, and that's only the second time I've been stung.  Thankfully, I'm now sure I'm not allergic.  I was going to have to be careful because I got stung on the inside of my bicep, and if I needed to go to the gym because of weather, I was going to have to run with my arm at an angle.  Thankfully it was cooling off, so I headed home to run outside, and I wrapped my arm before heading out.  It seemed to work well.  This morning there's just a little redness, with a little skin flaking.

Pro tip... I didn't know vinegar neutralizes sting venom.  I was over on campus at the sports facility for a suppliers showcase, and one of the workers brought me vinegar to put on the sting site.  I knew about baking soda and water, and Benadryl, but vinegar was a new one.  After the swelling went down, I saw there wasn't a stinger.  Really makes me think it was a yellow jacket.







Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

10 comments:

  1. I can't believe that Halloween is next month! I don't usually dress sup for Halloween but I love giving out candy to all the kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll wear something fun, but I haven't dressed up since my last trick or treating in middle school.

      Delete
  2. I love the movie Elf. I watch that every year around Christmas time to get me in the spirit. I laugh like I have never seen it before every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time. It's just a feel good movie.

      Delete
  3. I am so not a Will Ferrel fan,but I love him in Elf. What's crazy is that our three (grown) kids still love the movie, too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a Will Ferrell fan either, but when I saw Elf years ago, I loved it.

      Delete
  4. Good to know about vinegar!

    I need to order my kids' costumes online this year. I'm really disappointed in Halloween stores and options these days. It's just not as awesome as when we were kids. Although maybe it is and I'm just seeing it in a different light as a grown up. That could be it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom made a lot of my costumes, and then I pieced together costumes with things we already had.

      Delete
  5. Damn, those yellow jackets are mean! I didn't know about the vinegar, but I'm glad you shared it. I'll tell my patients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of us knew that! It's a good tip, and when I looked it up, it said regular vinegar and apple cider vinegar works.

      Delete