Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Denver Color Run

Saturday my mom and I did the Denver Color Run.  The race wasn't timed, and to keep it fun, we ran it together at her pace with 2 minutes walking/1 minute running ratio.  It was a fun way to kick off a busy day, outlined in yesterday's post


We had our alarms set for 5:15 because the light rail runs only every 30 minutes on the weekend, and we wanted to get to Union Station with enough time to walk to Coors Field.  The ride took about 45 minutes, and Coors Field is only a couple blocks down from the station.  We had to walk around to the other side of the stadium coming from Union Station since the parking lot was not only the staging area, but it also had some of the course.


The starting line was open from 8 to 8:45, and my mom and I started a little after 8 with some rolling waves.  There were 4 color stations, yellow, pink, purple, and green, and a foam station was between the purple and green stations.  We walked through all of the stations so we wouldn't slip on the colored powder, or the bubbles and foam.  No point in getting hurt during a fun 5k, especially with training starting this week.  The difficult part after each station was breathing.  There was some much powder in the air, it was hard to not inhale the stuff.  Despite my best efforts, I still felt the powder on my teeth.


The powder also got everywhere.  It was easy to brush it off, but once it was in the clothes, those certainly needed to be washed.  When we got home, I chose the heavy duty setting on my washer, and the clothes came out clean.  The powder got on my torso, neck, face, ears... I had to scrub pretty good in the shower, and even then I needed to use my Clean and Clear face cleanser.  Yellow powder came out when I blew my nose after the race, and then my q-tips have been getting yellow powder out of my right ear!


I don't know if I would do this again, but it was certainly a fun race to do.  We did get bling, and now my medal hanger is full.  That means I can look at other designs and put one on my Christmas list.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had fun. The breathing the color stuff would freak me out. I won't say "never", but I don't plan to ever do a color run...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A color run isn't really my thing, but it was quite fun. IF I do another one, I'll come prepared for the powder.

      Delete
  2. I like the unicorn medal! I did a color run once and enjoyed it but I don't think I would do one again because of the breathing powder issue. That was tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tough. Once I cleared the stations it was OK, but I couldn't hold my breath after running up to the stations.

      Delete
  3. Love the Bling! That's always the best part haha. Glad your rack is full now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Normally 5k's don't offer medals, but this one's pretty nice.

      Delete
  4. What a fun medal! Yes, I can attest it was hard to not breath in the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt good to brush my teeth when I got home. I kept feeling the granules of the corn starch.

      Delete
  5. I've never done a color run, and from reading about them, I don't think I ever well. Glad you had fun! Wonderful to do it with your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more fun to do with friends, and my mom and I talked the whole way.

      Delete
  6. I have done one color run and it was not a fun experience for me...but I was kind of on my own because one of my friends was a no show (sick) and the other brought her 3-yr old (so they were walking). Add to that, the weather was cold, windy, and damp (October in Iowa, #nuffsaid). Had I been with a bunch of friends, it would have been a much better experience ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wind would not have been good. Friends make everything better, but the color run isn't one I'd do on my own.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a really fun but really big mess! How great to do it with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was messy. We had old towels in my mom's car that we wrapped up in so the powder wouldn't go anywhere. We kept the car clean.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you had fun. I don't think there will be any color runs in my future...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never done one and I didn't know what to expect.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you both had a great time! I've never done a Color Run...inhaling all that dust does seem a bit much though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It smelled too. Not bad, but I didn't like it.

      Delete