Friday, August 11, 2017

New Running Schedule, and Then Some

This week was all over the place, but it marked one year since I made my decision to move out of Texas.  I was in DC for a conference, and met up with family to go to the Nats game my last night there.  It was such a huge difference from Dallas because I was actually enjoying being outside on an August evening.  Dallas keeps roasting, even when the sun goes down.  I did have a bottle of water with me, but I was enjoying myself, being outside, at a game, not sweating buckets.  I even remember there was a breeze, and I realized I was enjoying a DC night over Dallas, and DC is infamous for its humidity.  It made me think, and I realized I was over the Texas summer heat.


To go off that, I ran outside Wednesday around my neighborhood, on my new running day.  I had my bag packed for the gym, and I was heading that way, but my car gauge said 77 when I got south of Boulder, and I knew there was a breeze.  I changed my plans, went home, slapped on the sunscreen, and headed out for my run.  I started my Garmin, but I quickly realized starting the run activity wasn't the same as starting the intervals.  I figured out how to do that after my run.  While a faster cadence was quite the test off the treadmill, it was 76 when I was running, with wind.  So much more enjoyable, both off the treadmill and not in the Texas heat. 


I also bought two more Pure Barre DVDs.  As I found myself doing segments combined with weight work, I realized the at home workouts work better on my schedule.  I haven't been to a studio class since I moved out of Boulder.  I mix up segments since I'm familiar with some of the discs, and I'm doing them a lot during the week.  As Pure Barre seems to be moving more towards a streaming service, I got these two, on sale.  Bonus!  By doing these workouts at home, I can also get to the gym and hop on the stationary bike for some cross-training on Sundays.

My intent for my Vegas playlist to be all rock n roll may be slipping away.  I need fast songs, and some songs I've thought of are a little too slow on the beat.  I'm now looking for more fast songs, but I will definitely have rock n roll songs on the list.  How can I not?  If anyone has fast rock n roll, songs, I'm open for suggestions.

Finally,

Source
It's EPL season day!  The new English Premier League season kicks off today with Arsenal vs. Leicester!  I have survived the summer break!!


Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

12 comments:

  1. That's odd, because with my vivoactive the intervals do start when you start run activity (if you have it turned on).

    TX summers are really brutal. At one point we truly believed we'd retire in Austin & stay there, and now know that's not what we want (even if we miss it!).

    My husband still likes the idea of being a snowbird but I still don't see how it'll work with furkids. But he's also still a few years away from retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss my friends, but definitely not the heat.

      Delete
  2. The at home workouts have been working better for me too. It's so much easier when you can do it on your own schedule at home instead of being tied to the gym's schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I loved taking Pure Barre at the studio, but I can do it more often at home with the DVDs.

      Delete
  3. I think our summers are brutal and then I read about those Texas summers...yep, not complaining at all! I'm sure you're enjoying CO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. It does get hot, but it's so much better. I think we've had only a couple days in the 90s so far in August.

      Delete
  4. I don't know if you're an AC/DC fan, but I wrote a blog post (back in February) highlighting some of their songs that I think are great for running. Check it out if you're interested ;-) I'd LOVE to visit CO sometime (other than via a layover at the airport).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check it out. I have Thunderstruck on my list, which is always great.

      Delete
  5. Oklahoma heat is up there with Texas! It's no fun! We used to go to the Rangers games every year when the Yankees came to town and it was miserable!! 77 degrees sounds amazing!! I was looking at doing the Vegas half, but I don't know that I'll be able to now. :( maybe next year! Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vegas has been on my bucket list and I decided enough of putting it off, I'm going to do it this year.

      Delete
  6. Excellent post, Lesley! Do you have any recommendations for being more motivated for a workout on the treadmill?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play around with intervals and speeds. Gym TVs are never on something interesting, so I have to come up with some fun.

      Delete