Tuesday, August 8, 2017

My New Garmin

I hit the gym yesterday after watching Jenny Simpson take silver at Worlds.  Anybody else see it?  Wow!  I was so nervous for those 4 minutes.  My plan had been to try to run outside after work, hoping the front had pushed through.  I don't mind wet roads and sidewalks, but it was raining a bit when I left, so I headed to the gym.  Since I had my Garmin with me, I tested out the indoor run setting.


The Garmin has a few activities to chose from, but I've only set up my running intervals.  I do wonder if the bike setting would work with a stationary bike.  Since the watch has a built in accelerometer, I don't need a foot bad to track my distance.  It did put me at .10 more than the treadmill, and I don't know which one was off.  So I did 2.25 on the treadmill/2.35 on my watch to round it out.

What I like about this Garmin, and it's a small feature, is it buzzes instead of beeps.  My last Garmin only beeped, and sometimes, even with low volume, I couldn't hear the beeping alert.  I had to keep looking at my watch to make sure I didn't miss an alert.  If this buzzes for all of that, I don't have to look anymore.  I'll feel it buzz and know to start the next interval.  Pretty sweet.


You can also see in the picture above, the last stat is cadence.  Cadence is built in too, which I was happy to see after Googling how to set it up.  The manual wasn't very helpful, other than what each button does, so I've had to search online to figure out how to navigate the menu.

I can't wait to actually get this thing outside for a run.  I've set up my intervals to have faster running intervals than walking, but both are shorter than what I've been using on the treadmill.  I'm always slower on the treadmill, and I'm looking forward to continuing my speed work on the roads.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

14 comments:

  1. I like the color! I haven't tried using the Garmin indoors yet. I have my first hill interval workout to do today so hopefully it'll work out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the color too! I don't want anything boring.

      Delete
  2. My vivoactive only vibrates & I wished it beeped -- sometimes I miss the vibration (but not often). I found its indoor running mode useless, though; it really didn't track well. So I just go by the treadmill when I'm on it. Probably not accurate either, but it's worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know which one is more accurate. I figured get to my mileage on the lower tracking one just to be safe.

      Delete
  3. Glad you're enjoying the Garmin! I agree about the vibrate feature - sometimes the beep is really hard to hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to test it outside, but the buzzing would be nice.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you're enjoying it so far! It's amazing what Garmins do these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much to them! I didn't want too many things, but the features are fun.

      Delete
  5. Cool watch! I have the 225 and love setting up my workouts too so I can press one button and go. I wear a foot pod for running indoors and hate that it isn't consistent with the data on the treadmill. I gave up and just pay attention to the data on my watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've set up my indoor intervals now, so I can ignore the treadmill time.

      Delete
  6. New watches are so much fun! I just got the Garmin Fenix so I could use it for tri training. I love it but I am still figuring it all out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with it! The new watch makes me want to train to test it out.

      Delete
  7. I love the color of your new watch! I like that it buzzes too. Which version is it? I really like what it shows after your run. Mine doesn't do that...I may need to get another one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Forerunner 230. I'm still figuring things out, but I love that I get more stats with each run.

      Delete