Sunday, August 6, 2017

Monday Musings 8/7

Another low key weekend, and I got more sleep too!  I ended up sleeping in until 7 on Saturday, and 6:30 Sunday morning.  Even though I'm not ready for shorter days, it's been nice to not have the sun's rays zinging into my bedroom at 5:30am.  Sunday morning was also pretty cool and cloudy, which made for a lazy morning while I watched Worlds.  I did do some strength training after breakfast so it wasn't completely lazy.

The past week had been a lot better than July, but I knew my fuse was still short.  Some people just know how to push buttons, and I didn't want to be set off after making it through to August.  My Garmin arrived Thursday, and I've been having fun playing with the new features.  Thursdays are a little tough staying motivated, and I skipped the gym.  Instead, I did a Jillian Michaels workout, plus a little bit of Pure Barre, and I had DOMS even on Saturday morning.


Even though the weather was cooler Saturday morning, I didn't get outside to run.  Since I slept until 7, I was moving a little slow that morning.  I didn't want to rush through breakfast, so I opted for the gym, and I pounded out 2.5 miles.  I'm up to 6.7 and 6.8 for my running intervals, and I haven't had those speeds in years.  The treadmill always seemed a struggle at those speeds, but the faster cadence makes it a lot easier.  I keep increasing the speed once I start running into the control panel.  Then I did some Pure Barre for my seat Saturday afternoon.  I'm starting to feel like a pro with two workouts Saturday and Sunday.


Sunday I had a morning appointment, so I didn't get to bike, but I did some strength training before the appointment, while watching Worlds, and then I did a quick upper body PB workout after lunch.  I noticed Saturday my arms were tired with my faster speeds, and I need to be consistent with upper body strengthening too.  In between those, I got dinner in the crock pot since the temps are much cooler at the moment, and I was watching the women's marathon.  I'm so happy for Amy Cragg!

Thursday motivation?
This week I'm going to try something, and shift my workout schedule.  Since Thursday has proven to be difficult with motivation, I'm going to try running Monday/Wednesday, and bike on Tuesday/Sunday.  If all I want to do is head home on Thursday, then I'll accommodate that and head home for some total body workouts.


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up, with guest host Heather.

22 comments:

  1. I always try to sleep in on the weekends! I need to catch up on sleep to be ready for the upcoming week. Nice job with your treadmill intervals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try too as well, but I don't sleep in much. It's easier when the sun doesn't wake me up.

      Delete
  2. I have not been sleeping that well the past few months but I hate to get up early on the weekends. Nice job hitting those speedy treadmill paces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm awake, I'll move to the living room, but I can be slow there.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for a new Garmin! I hope you enjoy all the cool features :)

    I usually sleep in until 7 am on Sundays. It's the only day of the week I get to sleep in and I really value that extra bit of sleep, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My body is so programed to wake up early. I wish I could sleep in every weekend.

      Delete
  4. I countered my sleeping in Fri (vacation day)and Sat mornings by staying up WAY too late. So, ultimately, I really didn't catch up on sleep at all. :-( I need to get to bed on time tonight!!

    I got a new Garmin this week, too, and so far it's been so much fun. :)

    Sounds like a smart idea to switch up your schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new Garmin has been fun, figuring everything out. It does so much more than my first one.

      Delete
  5. I "slept in" until 6:30 today! LOL!

    Enjoy your new Garmin. Anxious to hear how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sleeping in is between 6:30 and 7. 6:30 would mean an extra hour most mornings.

      Delete
  6. Making the shift for your Thursdays sounds like the right move. It looks like a few of us have gotten new Garmin's recently! I'm still adjusting, but it's slowly getting easier to use, lol!

    I wish I could sleep in on the weekend but my body always wants to get up at 6. At least it's later than my 5 am normal wakeup...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the Thursday shift helps. I didn't like skipping so many Thursdays.

      Delete
  7. I slept a little later than usual on Saturday, too. My body seems to wake up on its own about 10 minutes before my alarm (5:00a.m.), but I allowed myself some snooze time ;-) (and I did not feel the least but guilty)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't feel guilty, but I knew it meant the treadmill. I'm fine with that.

      Delete
  8. Thursday is my Weight Watchers meetings & errands day, and the dogs really need a walk before I leave them for hours, which leaves no time for a morning run (unless I want to get up at stupid 0'clock & I don't).

    Which is why I keep ending up on the treadmill . . . obviously great minds think alike since we both had photos of us foam rolling this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foam rolling was necessary. I do it every day, but two days of DOMS got extra foam rolling.

      Delete
  9. The socks are cute. The pattern looks like mountains? Which Garmin did you get? I've worn the 225 for a couple of years but am itching for something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, mountains on the top of the socks. I'm a Colorado girl now. I got the 230, for a good price from Heart Rate Monitors USA.

      Delete
  10. Sometimes we just need to shake things up with our workouts and try something different! Kudos to you for doing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thursdays just weren't working. If I want to go after my PR in Vegas, I need more runs per week.

      Delete
  11. I'm so amazed at how much upper body plays into running - like you think that it's all lower body, but then my arms and shoulders can really be sore after a long run. I try really hard to get any workouts done in the morning because most days after work, I just want to head home and relax, but my 5AM alarm is starting to wear on me, so I might have to rethink my workout schedule very soon as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to stay relaxed, but my upper arms can be tired after a good run. As much as I'm focusing on my glutes and hips, upper body is really important.

      Delete