Sunday, August 13, 2017

Monday Musings 8/14

Happy Monday, and it's a short week for me!  I'm taking Thursday and Friday off as staycation days.  I haven't decided on anything fun, but I'm taking my car in for an oil change, and I have my chiro appointment, both on Thursday.

The weekend started Friday, with my parents coming down to drop off their cats.  They flew out to California for vacation Sunday, and I'm cat sitting for them.  Allie enjoys being an only cat, but Hudson and Hathaway are here for more than a week.   Friday we watched the World Championships I had DVR'd, and now I can say I've met a world champion.  That race was unbelievable.


Saturday, we took my grandfather out to lunch in Old Town Arvada, and then went to the Army Navy Surplus store since he wanted a hat (he served in the navy), then we went to one of the best bakeries.  It's called Rheinlander German Bakery, and it's amazing.  You can smell it when the doors are open, and it smells like baking cinnamon.  My mom and I get our sweet tooth from my grandfather, and we all enjoyed getting some sweets from there.



I had planned on maybe an afternoon run afterwards, but it started thunder storming when we were driving back.  Saturday morning I'd gone to Dick's Sporting Goods to look at the treadmills they have.  I have pictures of 3 that looked good, and now I'll be doing some research in my free time.  Since afternoon weather is a bit unknown each day, I really am looking for a treadmill now.   So Saturday ended up being an extra rest day, but this is also what I like about not being in training yet.

Sunday I got to the gym for biking, and took it easy this day.  My parents left for the airport at 5:45, and I woke up in time to see them off.  Even though I went back to bed, I didn't get back to sleep.  After biking and doing the grocery shopping, I got home, and did one of the new Pure Barre workouts.  I even had help from Hudson.  He's such a sweetie, and it did get interesting while I was trying to balance for some exercises, and giving him belly rubs at the same time.  When I was on the floor, he wanted to lick my face.


The afternoon was spent napping, and then starting a new book.  Two books I wanted were released at the beginning of August, and I ordered both from Amazon.  I started On Her Majesty's Frightfully Secret Service, by Rhys Bowen, and I love this series.  It won't take me long to finish it.


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up, with guest host Michelle.


24 comments:

  1. My 20 year old treadmill is circling the drain and I'm sure I should be shopping for one. I don't use it very often, which makes me hesitate. I hope it doesn't just die on me. It's just not very reliable anymore. I'll be interested to see which you pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's post has the 3 I liked at Dick's, but my research may bring something else up.

      Delete
  2. Like Wendy, I have an ancient treadmill, too...mine is about 16 yrs old. It's very basic and sits in a very boring place (my mudroom)...so it's kind of lonely old gal because I seldom spend any time on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one will be in the basement, but I'm halfway to having a home gym. I'll actually use the basement other than storage.

      Delete
  3. I have a Lifefitness treadmill that's I've had for 15+ years. It needed one repair a few years ago, but is still going strong -- although I don't use it very often these days. I think a good treadmill is worth the investment, but I'd also have a hard time resisting all the fancy bells and whistles that would help combat treadmill tedium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treadmill tedium is a challenge. I keep things interesting with my speed intervals, but I'll need some speakers for my iPod.

      Delete
  4. We had some rain and thunderstorms last week too. Luckily the weather this week looks great! I recently purchased a treadmill last year and I love it. Before that, I had a treadmill that was about 20 years old and it was definitely worn out!

    Enjoy your staycation at the end of this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather here is still up and down, but I got my run done yesterday, outside! It looked like it was going to rain, but I took a chance.

      Delete
  5. A treadmill is a good investment. After injuring my Achilles, I couldn't run on one any longer because it seem to aggravate that injury. I ended up giving my ProForm away (and it wasn't very old). That's a sweet pic with your cat. If I lay on the floor to foam roll or exercise, the dogs are all over me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents' cats love when people are on the floor, and make it a participant sport. I can't do yoga with either of them because they're furry little obstacles.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a nice time with family. The German bakery sounds awesome!

    I'd be interested to see which type of treadmill you choose. I want to invest in one as backup for the winter months, but I have no idea where to begin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to start. I know I can base it off treadmills I like at the gym, but there are so many brands.

      Delete
  7. I did such extensive research when I bought my treadmill and was very concerned at the warning that the belt could cause cancer! Of course I called the company and they said as long as I don't eat it, I'll be okay...lol. Why even put such a warning.

    Hope you find something fun to do on your days off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a weird warning, but they may have to with laws and regulations.

      Delete
  8. That bakery looks amazing!
    Stay-cations are the best. I'm itching to take a couple days off to catch up on house work and a few things for the blog.

    I'm interested to see what treadmill you end up with. Eventually I would like to re-do our basement and set it up as a home gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like staycations, and I can get those two appointments at any time, and then still be able to relax. I may go see a movie since schools start this week. It should be quiet.

      Delete
  9. Oh that German bakery looks so good - I have such a sweet tooth too! Good luck with your treadmill search - I would love to get one for the winter months when the roads are icy, but can't figure out where to put it in our house because our basement ceiling is so low #oldhouseproblems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bakery is amazing! It reminds me of Mike's Pastries in Boston, and it smells so good!

      Delete
  10. I would love to get a treadmill as well because sometimes I just don't want to leave my house to go to the gym (during the cold weather or when it is raining hard). I hope you pick a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I didn't want to leave during the snow storms this year. Having one in the house would be so much easier.

      Delete
  11. I would definitely like to get a treadmill whenever I am back to running regularly. It would just be so convenient to have one at home for days when the weather is bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now my gym is south of my house so I have to go past it, then back up the road. That road is one lane each way and is such a pain during rush hour.

      Delete
  12. My treadmill is so old, too (I think about 18 years old or so). I hardly use it anymore, though. Hope you are able to find one you like!! The German bakery sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's to know treadmills can last that long. My main goal would be outside, but I'm a wimp with weather nowadays. I used to be tougher.

      Delete