Friday, August 4, 2017

Friday Five

After being tired all week, another low key weekend is called for.  It seemed as I got into August, I had a sort of July hangover all week.  The good news is I rattled off two miles on the treadmill on Tuesday, and it was the fastest I've gone on the treadmill since college.  That felt good.


1) I've been thinking about my goals for the month.  I've had success in upping my speed on the treadmill, and I want to push a little more.  I need to get biking into my cross-training routine, and I also want to work on my core, with all the other strength training I've been doing.  Speaking of strength training...

2) I'm in the process of overhauling my work pants.  Lately, my slacks have felt a little tighter as I've worked on all the strength training for my hips and glutes.  After looking online to try to get some new pairs, I keep seeing cuts that are "narrow in the hips and butt."  That just won't work.  This goes with the skinny jeans fashion that I can't wear.  My strong athlete's legs and butt can't squeeze into what's fashionable right now.

I think it's time I said "f-it!" and embraced the Boulder culture.  Jeans.  A lot of people at work wear jeans, and I've put up a good fight in the 7 months at work.  I've worn slacks and skirts to work for 10 years, and it doesn't feel right to wear jeans all the time.  I may not have a choice if companies aren't making slacks that I can fit into.  I ordered another pair of jeans yesterday, and I'm looking for a third pair, probably a dark wash to have options.

3) My Garmin arrived yesterday, and I was playing with the settings while I was watching Hidden Figures.  It amazes me that my Garmin has more computing power than the computers on the rockets that took men to space.  It probably has more power than the computers for the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs combined.


4) Yesterday also marked 100 days until the RnR race, unless I counted wrong.  I checked twice on my calendar and kept getting yesterday.  That's good enough for me.

5) Finally, Worlds start today!  I noticed a few weeks ago, my Xfinity service added the Olympic channel to my NBC line up.  I've got all the new broadcasts ready to record on my DVR, and I hope being on the Olympic channel doesn't mean that many commercials.  The first session to record will be during the day, so hopefully I'll have something to watch when I get home.

Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

14 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about dress slacks! I'm hoping the ill fitting pants are due to my muscular legs...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure they are. My slacks fit before I focused on so much strength training.

      Delete
  2. So sorry about the work clothing struggle! Jeans would be nice every once in a while! :) Too funny about your Garmin! Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels weird wearing jeans more often, but they actually fit.

      Delete
  3. I have a lot of trouble finding pants that fit right. Fortunately, I've found a few brands that have some stretch in them to accommodate my athletic thighs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which brands? I definitely need a little stretch.

      Delete
  4. You'll love RnR Vegas. Running on the strip at night is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited about it. My first night race, and it's the perfect setting.

      Delete
  5. I work in a fairly "casual" office, and it drives me crazy. Granted, we do not have a lot of visitors, but the "jeans and t-shirts" thing is just TOO casual if you ask me. At least jeans do give you the option to dress them up (with nicer blouses and sweaters, etc.). I'm excited for Vegas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I will be dressing them up, and I can't stand ripped jeans. I don't know where that trend came from.

      Delete
  6. Which Garmin did you get? I got a FR630 this past week. :) That is crazy to think about the computing power. Hidden Figures was a such a good movie!!

    I hope there's a blogger meetup for Vegas. I'm not running it this year, but would love to meet everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the FR 230. I'm still messing around with the features, and can't wait for the first outside run.

      Delete
  7. RnR Vegas is probably my most favorite race ever! You will love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! It's been on my bucket list since I first read about it a few years ago.

      Delete