Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Looking for My Home Gym

Happy Tuesday.  Today's topic is what do I love/hate about summer running.  My summer running always ends up on the treadmill since I workout in the afternoons during the week, and this year I'm working on speed.  I've upped my speed well past 6.0 mph when I'm in my running intervals, and will continue to tick that speed up each week.


One thing I'm looking to do is getting a couple cardio machines for the basement.  My parents have a recumbent bike that I like, but I'd also like a treadmill.  I have specifics, like it needs a fan, and speed buttons, not just arrows.  I need to be able to change my speed quickly, like I can do outside.  I know I just joined a gym, but this summer I haven't necessarily wanted to go to the gym straight after work.  There have been days this month where it's nice to relax about 30-45 minutes before doing my run.  I did that yesterday before doing my strength training and I felt rejuvenated during my workout.  The issue is once I'm home, and then head to the gym, I won't really head to the gym.  It's hard to leave again during rush hour.

Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

20 comments:

  1. I have a complete home gym but I still pay to go to a gym because I lack all motivation at home! I need to work on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to have more motivation when I'm at home.

      Delete
  2. The treadmill is a great place for speedwork. I say go with whatever works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already upped my speed by a lot this summer. I need to keep it going when I start training.

      Delete
  3. Since my treadmill is older than dirt I have no advice for you! I'm sorta in the market myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know many people with treadmills. I need to know what works and what doesn't.

      Delete
  4. I have quite a few pieces of gym equiptment, but honestly it never gets used I hate working out indoors. They are more of a dust or clothing collector these days LOL
    But I'll give you a treadmill tip that can save you $100 or more. When I bought mine I wanted one with a fan and the sales guy was like it's a waste of money they aren't very powerful and they break quickly. If you want a fan just buy a larger fan to put in front of it as you run, and I guarantee it will work better than one on the treadmill. That's what I do when I use it, I stick it in front of the window or on the floor on the ground and turn it on high and it cools off so much more than a small fan on the face of the treadmil would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The advantage of Texas, I learned to run inside and still do when the weather's not great. Once we hit fall, I'll be back outside. Summer and winter are iffy.

      Delete
  5. Look at you, speedy! I can't seem to break that 5.0 barrier just yet. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I'm working on my cadence, I've noticed I need the faster speeds, otherwise I'm bumping into the control panel.

      Delete
  6. I know exactly what you mean about being home and not wanting to leave again. I feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fight through rush hour, and it's so good to be home. I don't want to go back out in that!

      Delete
  7. I would love to be able to turn our basement into a home gym. I just wish that we had the space, etc. to be able to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My basement has a lot of space, and not that much in it. It's got broken down boxes and some of my grandfather's Christmas decorations.

      Delete
  8. I have an old treadmill and I just don't care about it anymore! I'd rather go outside, no matter what the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the Goldilocks of runners. The weather has to be just right, which is why I'm looking forward to fall training.

      Delete
  9. I almost had to resort to using my (old) treadmill this evening because we had some heavy rain...but it all cleared, so I'm headed outside for a walk in a bit. I used to love the treadmill (back in my early days as a runner), but now I prefer to be outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer outside too, but Texas weather was nuts, and I'm realizing that nutso weather came from Colorado.

      Delete
  10. I would love to have a home gym at some point! Sometimes - especially when it's freezing here - it's necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Even in Texas, the ice storms made it treacherous to even walk to my complex's gym. Down the stairs, to the basement would be great.

      Delete