Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The BolderBOULDER 2017

Well yesterday was quite amazing.  I didn't know what I was more excited about: my race, or watching the elite race from the press truck.  I'll start with my race, and then have another post on the elite race.  This was my first race wearing my Oiselle singlet, and I was pretty excited.  I was also rather nervous since I had such a great training cycle, but my leg still needed to behave.


The weather during the weekend was a very rainy Saturday, and then the system moved out for great weather on Sunday and Monday morning.  It's normally chilly until the sun comes up, so it was a little nippy when my parents and I were driving up to CU-Boulder.  I bought a parking pass a couple months ago to park on campus since the lots they were using are south of the stadium.  The roads weren't closed on that part of campus, and I figured it would be an easy in and out with not worrying about road closures.  We ended up getting there pretty early - BB has such a rolling wave system, not all runners have to be present when the race starts, maybe arrive 20 minutes before the wave starts.


The wave start was extremely organized, and when they say they're starting your wave at a certain time, they mean it.  Granted, weather wasn't a factor, but from what I could tell, nothing was delayed.  They have to start every wave on time in order for the elite races to start on time, and end by noon for the Memorial Day celebration.  Each wave was small, especially compared to the bigger races I've done.  Maybe 100-200 people each?  I never felt like I was tripping over anyone, and it was a steady stream of runners until the end.

Miles 1-3.1

I decided on Sunday to shorten my intervals so I could work on my cadence without tiring near the end of each interval.  I was doing 30/30, with the occasional 45/45 thrown in.  The starting line is at Walnut and 30th, and Emma Coburn was the wave starter this year.  She fired the starting gun for every wave!  The first mile I spent trying to stay relaxed and find a rhythm, and then the second mile was a slight uphill, with things flattening out after that.  There were mile and kilometer signs, and I actually liked counting down the kilometers.  There may be more than miles, but they're shorter :)

Miles 3.1 to 6.2 (6.33 on my Garmin)

Miles 4 is marked with a sign showing it's the highest point on the course.  After that, not only did we start going down hill, but we also started moving south towards the stadium through the neighborhoods.  At about mile 4.5, I started feeling my ITB start twinging, but just like Tink last year, my shorter intervals were letting me continue without it ever getting bad.  I never felt like I couldn't run anymore.  I was able to keep going, but I was definitely feeling like I was starting to run on fumes.  I was running out of energy, and had to take a couple extra walk breaks.  I was feeling OK until around 5.5 miles.  At that point, I felt empty.  It took so much to keep up with my running intervals, but I kept pushing myself, until the Folsom hill.


I remember how much pain I was in at Eugene, and I couldn't enjoy the end of the race on the track at Hayward.  I wanted to save as much energy as I could for when I entered Folsom Stadium.  That did mean walking up the hill, starting around 5.8 miles, and and start running at maybe 6.1 miles.  I heard the crowd at Folsom is awesome, and I tried to run the entire horseshoe path around the field to the finish line.  I did have to take a quick walk break before running across the finish line since I had nothing left.  I mean nothing!  As I was walking around to the water and goody bags, I checked my mile splits.  Mile 4, 5, and 6 ended up being faster than the first 3, with mile 5 being the fastest of the race, but I didn't negative split because of the walking up Folsom hill.  No wonder I was done.  The tank was empty.

And I bettered my Tink time by 10 minutes!


Overall, I felt like this was a good race.  I still have work to do, but I intend to do nothing (!) for the next couple of weeks.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

20 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats on beating your Tink time by 10 minutes! And that's impressive that the waves were so small and so well organized for a race this big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing, and I never felt crowded because of the small waves.

      Delete
  2. Awesome job Lesley! Looks like a stunning day to race. Finishing with nothing left in the tank can be a good feeling!

    And great job on bettering your time over Tink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful day. It did rain in the afternoon, but everything was done by that point.

      Delete
  3. If you finish with nothing left...you probably have no regrets ;-) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tank was empty. I did like having to be herded into the field house to get my goody bag. I needed to sit down.

      Delete
  4. Woohoo!! Great job beating your time from Tink. I really want to come and run this race!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great race, and the Boulder residents are awesome!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Congrats on a great race. 10 minutes faster is huge! Way to leave it all out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did help that it wasn't crowded, and I am still making progress with my knee.

      Delete
  6. Mile 5.5 is So close yet seems so far to the finish when you feel you have nothing left in the tank. You did great. Sorry your IT band started to twinge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And going up hill! I took a couple extra walking breaks because I knew that hill was coming up.

      Delete
  7. You did great! 10 minutes faster than your last race is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like another 10 minutes, but I'll continue working on strength and with my chiropractor.

      Delete
  8. Wow! What an amazing finish--10 minutes faster? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was definitely a good race.

      Delete
  9. Way to crush your Tink time girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! All that PT and strength training is helping a lot.

      Delete
  10. I'm so happy for you! Congratulations on a great race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! I now know why everyone raves about it.

      Delete