Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Boston Marathon

TOTR is all about the Boston Marathon.  This used to be my backyard... OK, a few miles down the road, but I grew up in Wellesley, which is the 13.1 mile point of the course.  Wellesley College is famous for the fans, 13.1 miles, my high school fields, and the apartment my parents lived between selling their house and moving to Boulder.


The first spring we lived there was 1998, and we parked at the high school and walked across the fields to cheer on the runners.  I didn't understand why people would do that for fun, but we saw the elites, and then the first couple corrals after the elites before we headed home.

In high school, I learned about Bobbi Gibb and Katherine Switzer, and couldn't fathom why women were prevented from running marathons.  I'd always been active, and my parents encouraged me to be in sports as much as I wanted.  My uterus was supposed to have fallen out beyond running beyond a mile?  WTF???  I started learning the history of the marathon, and even though I still thought people were crazy, Marathon Monday feels so electric throughout the city and suburbs.  The towns on the course are shut down since the race runs right through the middle of each.  Marathon Monday is on Patriots Day, which is a holiday in Massachusetts.


The past few years I've "watched" the marathon online while I've been at work.  The BAA has a live feed on their website, and this year NBC Sports is covering the race.  I'll record the marathon because I'm in the chaos of financial reporting for research sponsors, and I really don't know if I'll be able to keep track of the race.  If not, I'll avoid the race and wait until I'm home that day.  Then two days later, I'll be watching the documentary on the marathon.  Yay!


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

14 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you grew up in Wellesley! I had no idea what a marathon was as a kid, let alone the Boston marathon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! My parents said we were going down to cheer on the runners, and I was clueless.

      Delete
  2. My husband grew up in Wellesley.

    Women my age, in general, weren't encouraged as much to be active. And I loathed most forms of activity as a child, probably because I'm not gifted athletically. My sister is, though. And my mom was a tomboy, so we were encouraged to be active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom played field hockey in high school until her family moved. She started getting active after I was born, and my dad was always active.

      Delete
  3. How fun to have grown up celebrating Patriots day each year at the Marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss it. I didn't have to go to school that day, but when I started working, I didn't get that day off. Such a bummer.

      Delete
  4. What a great memory to have. I also thought running like that for fun was dumb (still do sometimes ha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a marathon is not for me, but Marathon Monday is always exciting.

      Delete
  5. Oh lord how I loved approaching the Wellesley Scream tunnel. Us runners could hear them from a mile away. The city is truly electric and everyone is so friendly and sweet to the runners. How fun you grew up spectating. The runners appreciate it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spectators look forward to the race just as much as the runners.

      Delete
  6. Lucky you, to have experienced Boston! Even if you weren't running it, it has to be such a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand it a lot more now, too bad I'm not there anymore. I really miss Boston on Marathon Monday and 4th of July.

      Delete
  7. LOL, your uterus would fall out!!! Sounds like one of the reasons why Little League didn't want girls to play baseball ... because they could get breast cancer if a ball hit their chest. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As my mom said this weekend, they should've stopped the excuses and just said they didn't want girls/women playing. That's what it really was.

      Delete