Friday, April 21, 2017

The Boston Marathon Documentary

Wednesday night was the one-night screening of the Boston Marathon documentary, put together by the same team that did Spirit of the Marathon and Spirit of the Marathon II.  If any of y'all missed it, I do highly recommend seeing it when it hits DVD.  At least I hope it hits DVD because I want to buy it.  Here are 5 thoughts on it:


1) It's very inspiring, but I didn't expect anything less.  It not only covers the history of the race, but it covers what the planning was for 2014.  The history mentions the inspiration for the race, the past winners, Bobbi Gibb and Kathrine Switzer, and yes, even Rosie Ruiz.  What I was surprised about was they didn't mention the Duel in the Sun in 1982 when Alberto Salazar won.  They mention how erratic the weather can be, but didn't show this race.

2) It does cover the bombings.  As the race director said, the bombings are sadly part of the history, but the documentary follows the recovery process and Boston taking its marathon back.  In fact, the documentary never once mentioned the terrorists names.  It focused on what happened at the finish line to help the victims, and then what the city did to help the runners who were stopped mid-course.

3) Tuesday's posts were running mistakes, and not wearing cotton and getting the right shoes.  Of course, that's only new to running.  Some of the artifacts shown from the early races were amazing.  The shoes worn could've been loafers at the time.  Today's loafers actually have more padding and heel than those running shoes did.


4) I did get angry all over again when the ending showed the 2014 races, and seeing Rita Jeptoo cheat her way to the top.  I know it happened, and that's the footage from race day, but it made angry just the same.  One common theme was Boston being the people's marathon, and the spectators and cities making the race unique.  I still feel protective of the marathon, even though I left Boston in 2009, and there's no place for cheating.

5) We got a behind the scenes with the planning and safety for 2014.  The documentary ends with that year's race and showing the human perseverance to come back the next year and not give in to the fear.  It was Boston saying "we're back!", and I thought it was a great way to finish.  It started with 2013, and then the history portion ended with 2013.  2014 was the final statement saying the marathon is still here, and runners and spectators came back.


Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

12 comments:

  1. I also saw the movie and I really didn't know what to expect. I thought it was about the history but then when they started about the 2013 event I thought oh not here we go again(something I did not want to sit through and hear again)but it quickly turned to the history and it was quite interesting. I can't believe those type of shoes were worn in the past. They had to have major blisters. I didn't know that Katherine was actually not the first female winner and it was Bobbie, but I guess because she wasn't officially signed up. And I had no idea there were cheaters back then too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a review so I knew the opening would include 2013, then go into the history. I loved the history and learned a few things I didn't know before.

      Delete
  2. I have not seen the movie yet. We watched another documentary about the bombings a few months ago and it was so upsetting not sure I am ready

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was very well done. The bombings were handled in a very classy way, but it also focused on the recovery.

      Delete
  3. I wanted to go, but just have too much going on right now. I LOVE Spirit of the Marathon though -- I've watched it many times. I downloaded the II, which I heard wasn't as good, for my last trip, but then ended up not watching it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the second Spirit of the Marathon. It was pretty motivating.

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to watching it when it comes to Netflix (it had better!).

    Rita Jeptoo cheated at Chicago as well-twice, if I'm not mistaken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she lost her Chicago titled from 2014, as well as Boston. I did not want to see her cross the finish again.

      Delete
  5. I'll have to watch the DVD because I missed it. I do remember Rita Jeptoo being here in Chicago on a pre-marathon press tour. Some of us bloggers were invited to run with her. My how times have changed. What a fraud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to be excited about the Kenyans winning. At least Desi said Edna Kiplagat is winning the right way.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like this was really well done. I hope to be able to see it some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. The team said they wanted to do a documentary even in 2012, and then 2013 kicked things into gear.

      Delete