Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Running Mistakes

Today's topic is running mistakes, but I haven't really made any mistakes during a race.  I was OCD with getting everything down, and I was asking for advice left and right before my first half.  But I made plenty of mistakes before I started running, and it's no mystery why I was injured so much in high school.

not cotton
1) Cotton.  Cotton, cotton, cotton.  It makes me cringe what I used to wear.  I definitely wasn't wearing tech gear while training for sports, or practicing said sport.  I had cotton socks and wondered why I was always getting blisters.  The only cotton I didn't have was for my shorts.  I had compression shorts and shorts from my soccer catalog.

2) Shiny shoes.  We've all been there, right?  We walk into the sports store and immediately are drawn to the colorful, shiny sneakers.  Never mind that they may not be a good fit.  "I'm going to look amazing with those on my feet!"  It's also no wonder I had ankle and knee issues in high school, and needed orthotics by my senior year.  I couldn't do much about the lack of support in soccer cleats, but you'd think I would've wised up way beforehand and gotten fitted for running shoes.

3) Not taking advice.  Another place we've all been, right?  Over confident teenagers and we don't need anybody's help!  This is why I made sure to ask plenty and often to get this running thing down.  I hadn't listened at all growing up, and I was starting from scratch.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

16 comments:

  1. Clothing has definitely been a mistake in the past! One time I wore shorts for a hot race and while I didn't realize it in the moment, the chafing was horrible! Now I live by Body Glide lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I didn't use it that much before moving to Boulder, but I still had it.

      Delete
  2. Even as adults, I think we fall victim to these mistakes. :-O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it would be easy not to worry about material, but I know I'd pay for it later.

      Delete
  3. I still fall victim to my clothing! Thank goodness for body glide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to, but sometimes that means laundry if I've used up all my good stuff.

      Delete
  4. I wear cotton socks all the time and never get blisters! I did wear cotton shirts though... HOW DID I DO THAT!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think the running socks have helped save my feet. My pinky toes still chafe, but they haven't blistered.

      Delete
  5. Preach! I'm going through this with my teenage daughter right now. She's all about shoes that look cool and of course she knows it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been there. My parents didn't say anything because they knew I wouldn't have listened.

      Delete
  6. I wasn't athletic when I was a teenager. Maybe that was a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look back on what people wore and wonder how they could stand it. The old pictures and footage are mind boggling.

      Delete
  7. Not taking advice is NOT limited to teenagers! I know plenty of people who don't take advice when it's in their best interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really try to take advice now. My parents still ask if I want advice before they give it since I didn't listen from age 12-20-ish.

      Delete
  8. I made so many clothing mistakes when I first started running. I'm ashamed by what I used to wear. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some great tank tops, and they weren't tech at all, but I couldn't get rid of them.

      Delete