Friday, April 14, 2017

Running in Spring Time

After getting snow last Tuesday, it seems spring has come back, at least for now.  It is supposed to cool off a little bit this weekend, and hopefully I'll get a good run in tomorrow morning.  I did 3.75 miles in my new inserts, and I want to push myself beyond that.

1) After talking hydration, it becomes more and more important as the temps rise.  It was 80 degrees when I was driving home yesterday, and I started hydrating immediately when I got home.  It's important to start the fluids before the workout, and I was sipping water as I was changing into my running gear.


2) It's also important to adjust the speeds for warmer weather.  I did two runs in my new neighborhood this week, and both were a cardio struggle.  It'd almost been a week since I ran when I was out on Monday, but yesterday the temperature was warmer and I had to slow down.  At least my new inserts felt OK.

3) Hats and sunblock become ever more important when the sun is setting later.  My new dermatologist said it's important to reapply, and reapplying is more important than a higher SPF.  High SPF is good, but if you forget to reapply, you'll still get burned.

4) I don't know if it's time to put the tights and capris away, but I've defintiely brought out the compression shorts and Running Skirts.  And calf sleeves.  Those are proving to be very important as I deal with my calves. 

5) Finally, and not running related, since the temps are rising, it's my annual phase out the red wines and bring in the whites.  I still do have two red wines in my wine fridge, but summer means Sauvignon Blancs, Chardonnays, and Pinot Grgios.  It's always fun to be able to get the spring/summer recipes out, and I'm thinking fish this weekend.  It depends what I can find at Whole Foods.  They may be expensive, but they had a great fish selection in Dallas, and I'm hoping they'll have that selection here.


Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

14 comments:

  1. That's great that you are going to try to push yourself this spring! I know you can do it (but I also know how scary it can be because you don't want to push and undo all the work you did to get that far)! Enjoy your warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice knowing I can push a little further, but the one thing I was told at the beginning of recovery is take it slow. It can be frustrating.

      Delete
  2. It definitely takes time to acclimate to the warmer temps! I always marvel at the irony of how much easier it is to run in the cold but how much better it feels to be outside when it's warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to be cold, but I warm up very quickly when I run, so I like cooler weather for activities.

      Delete
  3. What about rose? It is so trendy right now :D I am with you, though. I only drink whites during the summer! Bring on the Sauv Blanc and the Chardonnay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had a couple sparkling rose wines, but it's not something I warmed up to.

      Delete
  4. Since I don't drink, I never knew that people actually change their wines with the seasons! Actually, Mr. Judy drinks wine, but I don't think he does that. It really all just depends on what he buys, I think.

    Thankfully it's been a little while since it snowed. Maybe the heat explains why I'm running a little slower right now . . . well, today is actually quite lovely.

    Several friends are racing tomorrow & they're going to have almost perfect racing weather. I wish I could join them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not necessarily seasonal, but I eat a lot lighter foods in the summer, so the wine changes with that.

      Delete
  5. I was just realizing yesterday that it is time to start carrying water again on my runs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started carrying water with me here because it's so dry, and now it's warming up.

      Delete
  6. I have already started carrying water with me on my long runs. In the past, I always looped back to my house every 5-6 miles or so, but I'm trying to drink a few sips every mile or so and "maintain" my hydration rather than fill/deplete/refill....so far, so good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find it's not as difficult to re-hydrate, but I still need my Nuun afterwards.

      Delete
  7. How funny that you phase out reds and bring in whites. I'm a red girl year round. Whites are too sweet for me! But I also don't drink much anyway so maybe that's it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some whites that are too sweet, but I steer clear of those. I don't like sweet wines.

      Delete