Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Hydration

Today's topic is hydration... It's important for me to stay hydrated through the day, during my runs, and after my runs.  I get headaches if I'm not hydrated enough, and they can be back.  During my training for my first half, I learned the hard way what happens if I don't replenish my electrolytes, and that means I feel like I got a migraine.  I could hardly keep my eyes open, and my head hurt so much!  Lesson learned.


As I've mentioned lately, it is dry in Colorado, and I got a running belt to help me carry water on my runs.  My first longer run outside was on a day when the water fountains were not on along the running path, and I felt parched.  Another lesson learned.  Even if I'm going for 2 miles, I need water with me.


I recover with Nuun to get those electrolytes, and it's one of the best things ever.  I always had to cut Gatorade and Powerade with water, but Nuun just goes into water, and I don't have to deal with all the sugar from Gatorade.  Seriously, that stuff leaves a sticky coating on the back of my throat that I can't stand!  Once I tried Nuun, I've never gone back.  I can find it at the running stores, REI, and even Whole Foods.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

19 comments:

  1. I've gone over to Saltstick Fastchews . . . they seem to be working for me and I like the taste. Of course carrying them along with everything else is kind of a pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Running Skirts because of the pockets. I can put chews in there and don't feel weighed down.

      Delete
  2. I've never tried nuun! But I do love me some SOS. Staying hydrated is key. You've got the right idea for carrying water even on 2-milers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so dry, I need the water, even for 2 miles. I learned a while ago I can't rely on the water fountains.

      Delete
  3. I love Nuun although I don't really carry hydration with me...I try to keep a bottle of water somewhere along my route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water and electrolytes I mean.

      Delete
    2. I normally carry water with me, and then use Nuun after my run.

      Delete
  4. You're right: CO is very dry. I definitely noticed it when I raced there. I do enjoy the lack of humidity though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lack of humidity is an adjustment. Extra water and body glide!

      Delete
  5. I really noticed the dryness in Arizona when we visited. My skin looked like I was 70.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've stocked up on moisturizer. People love the outdoors here, but I need to hydrate my skin!

      Delete
  6. I also love nuun! I drinking it before, during and after runs, especially in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make sure I have multiple canisters for Nuun in the summer. Texas summers were no joke.

      Delete
  7. I still haven't tried Nuun beyond some samples. I didn't really like the taste. I can only handle Gatorade in small doses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found flavors that I like. The first couple of Nuun that I tried tasted really thin, but other flavors are fine.

      Delete
  8. I love the old nuun, but am not a fan of the new version. I need to start experimenting and find something else to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they changed the formula, but I don't notice much of a difference. The difference for me is the flavors, so I avoid the ones I don't like.

      Delete
  9. Whenever I'm in Colorado, I drink SO much water. It's so necessary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Even days when I'm not doing much I still need water.

      Delete