Monday, March 13, 2017

Monday Musings 3/12

Another Monday, and are any of us groggy because of DST?  It is nice to have the extra light in the evening, but it's not good when my sleep time is messed with.  Not good at all.


The weekend fun started Friday after work.  I headed to Boulder Running Company to look at running belts, and double check the fit of my shoes.  Good news on both fronts: I got a running belt, which worked well on my run Saturday, and my shoes are a good alignment.  BRC films their gait analysis, so they could see I'm getting good support from my shoes, and they didn't think I even needed inserts.  They said I could go with inserts, but that it would only be a comfort thing.  I stuck with the running belt, and felt happy the store didn't try to push for new shoes when I didn't need them.

Saturday's run was shorter than I've been running, but I was pushing my intervals a little bit, and I did a hill workout.  When I got back to my complex, I was under 3 miles, but I felt good and didn't feel the needed to push for 3.  The running belt past its test, and two bottles should be OK, especially once the water fountains on the running path are turned on.


During the weekend, I started and ended a new book by PJ Tracy.  If anyone likes mysteries/thrillers, PJ Tracy is a mother/daughter team that writes thrillers based in and around modern day Minneapolis.  Their stories are the type that take off really fast and are hard to put down.  It's known as the Monkeewrench series, and the book I read is called the Sixth Idea.  It's the 7th in the series, and the 8th book is being published in August.

Sunday I actually postponed Pure Barre for another day because I was missing weights.  I want to get back to challenging myself with free weights, and I got my 5lb weights out and did Iron Strength.  I figure jump in with both feet.  I'm still enjoying Pure Barre, but now I want to push myself in other workouts too.  I have kind of been looking at Cross Fit, but I don't know much about it, and I'm not looking for HIIT.  I'm looking for a method where I can take my time and focus on my form and muscle activation while challenging myself.  Any thoughts?



Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

14 comments:

  1. So glad you like your new belt! After giving mine up (because I grew out of it, ugh) I realize the handheld I've been using just isn't cutting it. Especially when I start to run longer. That sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a handheld and I didn't like it. I felt one side was weighed down, and the water sloshing around drove me crazy.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of the belt but the one I had (camelbak) was not comfortable. I now use the flipbelt and bottle and like that better. Yay for the store not pressuring you into buying shoes when they were not needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very pleased the store said my shoes were fitting well.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the book suggestion. I'll have to look up that author. I'm originally from MN, so these books sound fun.

    Congrats on finding a running belt that works for you! I prefer my camelbak, but sometimes it can get very hot in the summer. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I start their books, I can't stop. I try to make it last but once it takes off, I have to find out what happens next.

      Delete
  4. How to carry water is an endless problem, isn't it? Glad you found a belt you enjoy.

    I haven't drunk the crossfit koolaid . . . yet. Seems like a lot people get injured doing it. Kind of like running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some exercises and wouldn't mind challenging myself, but I'm not in it for a competition. I want to take my time and focus on form.

      Delete
  5. I haven't tried Pure Barre yet! I do workout with a CrossFit coach--I've never taken the actual class. The CF box I go to has a beginner's class, to help newbies get the hang of the routine and the terminology. I'd look for a place that offers that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found one, and I think they have individual classes instead of just a monthly package.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a great experience with the running store! That's nice that they didn't push for new shoes when they're not needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, and I'll still go to them for my next shoes.

      Delete
  7. It's wonderful you found a hydration belt that you like! Pink accents help too. Thanks for the recommendation on the book. I'm getting ready to travel and that's my favorite time to read. As always, thanks for linking Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading less than I did last year, but I still love quality books.

      Delete