Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Green Tradition

Today's theme is on St. Patrick's Day, and I'll confess, it's a non-holiday for me.  I'm not Catholic and I'm not Irish.  I have heritage from England, Scotland, and Wales, but not Ireland.  I don't like beer, I don't like Guinness, and of course once fun leprechaun activities stopped in elementary school, it was just another day for learning.


I do have some good memories of St. Patrick's Day though.  None of them include a race, and the one bad memory I have is being hit with ITBS.  It's now been 4 years, can we talk?


The first good memory is being in London in 2007 for spring break.  Since I played lacrosse for 3 years in college, I didn't have a spring break until senior year.  While most people I know went to someplace warm, I went to London and Paris.  I was at an EPL game on March 17th, and saw one of the goalies score.  Who would've though that?

The other one was when I moved to Texas.  I either arrived on the 17th or around the 17th.  Even with St. Patrick's not being a holiday, it's easy to remember when things happened because that date stands out.  8 years ago I was just days away from driving away from my parents' house in Wellesley, and moving out of the time zone to Dallas.  I think it worked out pretty well.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

12 comments:

  1. I'm Irish and Catholic but it's never felt like a big thing to me. I do like to do a half marathon with a St Patty's theme though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind decorating, but it was never big growing up.

      Delete
  2. I seriously have no real memories tied to St. Patty's. I'm Jewish & not a drop of any UK blood in me (although my grandma did live in England for a while).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the whole pinching thing, and I didn't own green clothes in elementary school.

      Delete
  3. I have no Irish blood and have never touched a beer but I still have fun with St. Patty's Day. It breaks up the monotony of winter here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! I remember how bleak the winters could be in Wisconsin.

      Delete
  4. I'm the same as you although we do have a st Patrick's day race here that I run on occasion (it rarely falls ON st Patrick's day though).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dallas has a big race, but I never did that. It was point to point and my concern was always "how do I get back to my car?"

      Delete
  5. I am not big into St. Patrick's Day minus the whole buying and wearing green part (this year I have an awesome Darth Vader St. Patrick's Day shirt!)... last year was the first time I had green beer even!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had green beer. I would get a green shake from McDonald's, with mint ice cream.

      Delete
  6. I'm not big on St. Patrick's Day either but it's cool that the date has such special memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple good memories, but my ITBS post came up on my Facebook memories today :-/

      Delete