Tuesday, March 7, 2017

A Running Schedule?

Big confession, I never really sit down and schedule out my races.  I just sign up if I find one that I really want to do.  If it's a smaller race, I'll sign up if packet pickup is easy to get to, and it's in a good area.  Sometimes I'll think about races if I know friends are doing it.  I just know I need time between the big races, and now two years running (pun?) I've had my big races in the spring.


What I do know is I like to have some cushion if I want to do two races in a year.  I haven't done that since 2012.  I think a mid-spring race and a mid-fall race is good for that option.  Of course, I won't make any decisions on a fall race until after my spring race is complete.  I do have some ideas, and they're the RnR in Denver in October, which I can drive to, and RnR Vegas in November, which I can't.  Each has a 10k, but the Vegas is a night race, so I could shake things up and try that instead.  I've never done a night race, and what better place than to see the Vegas strip lit up?


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

19 comments:

  1. I've run both RnRs you're considering and they're both great ones. There's a good chance I'll be in Vegas again this year. I'm not a huge Vegas fan but having the entire strip closed for just us runners is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to Vegas since I was 7(?) and the idea of having the strip closed for a race sounds fun.

      Delete
  2. Being in a new location this year should open up some new racing opportunities this year. That's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I'm trying to find the websites for races around here.

      Delete
  3. If you make it to Vegas for their race hit me up, I live just up the road a ways:)
    I'm not much of a race planner right now either, but if I see one I like and the timing is right then I may just sign up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make a decision after Bolder Boulder. Obviously if I travel for a race, there's lots of planning.

      Delete
  4. I so wanted to do RNR Vegas in 2015 to celebrate my 35th but it didn't happen. Now I've lost the mojo to go since I'm not a big Vegas person. Maybe when I'm 40... ack!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vegas was my first. :) It was the first time they did it at night, and it was a trainwreck (and cold! Like, really cold) -- I still had a great time.

    I usually plan for a half around Oct, because that's what the running group I usually run with in the summers target.

    Other than that, it kind of depends on our plans. I may have mentioned how much I really don't like training through the winter? It's hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the desert can get pretty chilly at night. Maybe the 10k wouldn't be so bad, but I would pack layers.

      Delete
  6. I have LV planned for the fall, but I'd like to plan one other race. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like Vegas has a bit of interest. If I went, I know I'd want to celebrate at Margaritaville.

      Delete
  7. Its smart to wait until after a spring race to think about a fall race. Id love to do Vegas one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to wait, but I signed up for races before and it backfired.

      Delete
  8. Vegas looks and sounds like an amazing race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, and the swag last year was pretty sweet.

      Delete
  9. RnR Vegas is a fun race! I would recommend doing the half for sure (I was going to do the full but it's weird because you go through a neighborhood in the dark).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sticking with 10k's, but that course shows plenty of time on the strip.

      Delete
  10. Running on the Vegas strip at night really was a fun experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done a night race yet, but this looks fun.

      Delete