I've never done a WIAW post, but today's Friday Five is all about food, and I've recently switched some things up in the nutrition department. Not that I was unhealthy or anything, but I could always be better. None of these are affiliate links.
1) When I was in Boulder last month, my mom introduced me to Terra Chips. They're chips made from root vegetables and are much healthier than any normal potato chips I was eating. My favorite is the sweet potato chips and bonus, vitamin A! I take supplements to get vitamins, but it's always nice to get vitamins from my food.
2) 3 weeks ago I discovered Sargento has snack packs with nuts, cheese, and dried fruit. I've been getting the cheddar cheese with cashews and cranberries, and the cheddar cheese with almonds and cranberries. These snack packs sub in for the chips I was eating to cut out the super refined carbs.
3) After my first week of PT, I bought Muscle Milk to try to boost my protein levels. I'm trying to boost muscle growth with all the exercises I'm doing between at-home work and PT appointments. I don't drink the whole container in one sitting, but I aim for about half. 10g of extra protein on top of what I eat should hopefully help.
4) One thing I've been doing for about a year is using sandwich wraps instead of sandwich bread. I'm secretly a 5 year old and I still don't eat the crust of sandwich bread (good bakery bread is a different story). I buy Flatout wraps because they have a wrap made with flax seed, which boosts omega-3, and they also have 9g of protein.
5) I've also been making a lot of chicken dishes. I haven't cooked pork in so long, and I don't have red meat all that often either. I throw in fish and shrimp to mix things up, but chicken is so versatile. Now that it is warming up, I'll get the crockpot out more because it still allows me to make chicken dinners without needing the oven.
Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DC, Mar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!