Today's Friday Five is Race Day. I do a few things leading up to race day, so I'll post about all those, and not just what I do on race day itself.
1) Up the carbs a week prior. I don't indulge in the carbo load the night prior to race day. I don't believe what I can eat would be helpful, plus I graze. I up my carb intake starting a week prior to the race, and at first they'll be complex carbs to try to store them up, then they'll be easier carbs a couple days out. I stay away from greasy carbs though, so I'm picky about pizza prior to race morning. The best carb meal I had was in 2014 before the WDW half. We ordered take out from the Macaroni Grill and brought it back to our Disney hotel.
2) Flat Lesley. I lay out EVERYTHING I need for race morning so I'm not banging around, getting dressed in the dark, waking up the whole hotel room. If the whole hotel room is partaking in the race, everything is laid out and electronics are charged.
3) Never try anything new. That includes breakfast. I've traveled with my hot cereal mix and bagels and to-go peanut butter cups so I have exactly what I need and it's tried and true. If we're at a place where I can get to a grocery store, I'll get a couple bananas to have as well and take one with me to the corrals.
4) Puppy bladder. Some people need a PRP, I get puppy bladder. You know all the excitement and puppies piddle on the floor? Yeah, I get that. I grew up taking road trips and my bladder can hold it for quite a while. Put in race day, and I might as well have a revolving door to the bathroom. Go, get out, get back in line. Repeat.
5) Pedicure. I pamper my feet after a big race because they've taken me through training and the race. When the pedicure hits the massage part... heaven!
Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DC, Mar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!