1) Spring races - might sound strange, since it's not weather, but the LA marathon feels like it's the kick off to spring. It's the weekend where many races are held and it just seems like it's the start of the spring racing season. I know next year that marathon will be in February since it's the Olympic marathon qualifier but this particular weekend in March signals spring is coming.
2) Blue bonnets - The state flower of Texas, and a very spring symbol. I'm sure DC-ites feel that way about the Cherry blossoms. Blue bonnets are in bloom for about a month, and every family has the obligatory picture of their kids in a field of blue bonnets (my parents do!). If not kids, then dogs.
3) Fire ant killer - fire ants are a major pain in Texas, and when I hear radio ads for fire ant killer, I know it's spring. These usually start in April as prep for summer.
4) Easter - my family is far from religious, and I've always thought of spring when Easter rolls around. OK, if Easter's early then it doesn't feel like spring, but when it's in April, the weather usually cooperates.
5) Tornadoes - certainly not a fun one, but spring thunder storms can bring tornadoes. It's warm enough in the afternoons when a cold front comes through, the storms can be whoppers. If it doesn't bring a tornado, then hail. At least the parking garage at work is done so my car is covered.
Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DC, Mar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!