Thursday, February 19, 2015

TBT: Princess Half Marathon

This weekend is the Princess Half Marathon weekend at Disney World, so I thought I'd write up a TBT post.  If y'all want to read the recap, it's here.  The Princess 2012 was my first half, and training and everything else was an experiment.  I hadn't run past 5 miles in one go in my life, and here I was tackling 13.1.  I haven't done Princess again, but the weekend is still special to me.


I don't know if I would've chosen any other half as my first.  I chose it mainly because it fit with my schedule and I had plenty of time to train for it.  I trained for 9 months.  Yes, maybe too much time, but since I had never done miles 5-13.1, I wanted to build slowly.  I also had to deal with a nagging injury for 7 of those months.  Yeah, not cool.  I pulled my hip flexor playing soccer that March and couldn't find the right strengthening exercise, and I tried everything.  I didn't find the right exercise until the day after Thanksgiving.

My parents and their friends had done many Disney races, so I wasn't going into the race with a trial by fire mindset.  I took all the advice I could get.  I did a 10k to submit a time for my corral placement.  I built very slowly over those 9 months.  I strength trained.  I got better shoes from my LRS now that I was building beyond a 5k.  I stuck with the same breakfast, same running gear, had a great playlist, and I had experimented with fuel.  Gels were a big no-no and I was using Honey Stinger chews.  I had those separated into small ziplock bags and crammed them into the pockets I had in my running shorts.

I wanted to just cross that finish line, but I didn't stop for any pictures.  I didn't have a camera with me, and I would've been too antsy to wait in line.  I figured I'd do what I did after Mickey's 5k in 2010 and take pictures with the characters after the race.  Like Marie :)

2010 W&D weekend
I wasn't a sweaty mess either.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to hit the parks after the race.  Lunch was late and I wasn't moving the fastest.  OK, Grandma Moses could've out-walked me after my muscles got tight.  Holy crap!  My flight was leaving that evening too, which wasn't great either.  More sitting when I needed to be stretching.  Needless to say the next day my muscles felt worse.  At least I took the day off from work.  My advice for newbies would be if you can, schedule your flight for at least the next day.  Walk around after your first half to try to keep those muscles as loose as possible.

12 comments:

  1. Fun re-cap! I ran the DWM once, and I never stopped for pictures during the race either, I know lots do it, but for me pictures are for before or after:)
    I agree with ya thought, I always try to book flights the next day after a race, the legs get so stiff sitting in a chair for hours:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned my lesson. My apartment was on the second floor and going down those stairs hurt like crazy.

      Delete
  2. Last yr was my sister and mom's first half at Princess. I think It is a perfect first half marathon. We are here until Tuesday so we will be able to do a park on Monday and relax from the busy weekend that is about to come. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with all the races! I wish I could've relaxed more after the race.

      Delete
  3. Your first big race will always be special for so many reasons, and the fact that it was at Disney makes it that much more special. I'm so glad that I chose to run my first half at Disney too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was spoiled, and I've compared every non-Disney expo to Disney.

      Delete
  4. I would be pretty proud of my first race too. Darn those tight muscles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sitting did not help, but they tightened up by the time I got back to the hotel. A hot shower didn't really help.

      Delete
  5. Princess really IS the perfect first half, IMHO! :) Haha, my post-race plans were a bit messed up, too...I remember I had actually made breakfast reservations at Crystal Palace for after the race and showed up two hours late. (They took us for lunch, instead). I had no idea how loooong it would take, especially with stopping for so many pictures along the way, and getting from Epcot to MK, and then walking SO ridiculously slowly, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got stuck in traffic leaving EPCOT. We didn't move so I bolted to the porta-potty and had to waddle over there. Even sitting in a car my muscles tightened up.

      Delete
  6. First of all, sorry I'm late - but thank you for visiting my blog earlier this week!

    Secondly, my blog is coming up to my one-year anniversary, and I love that you've been at it since at least 2012 (based on your race recap) - congratulations!

    Finally, great race report. Very honest - especially about how frustrated you were at the corrals! I'm amazed that you were able to remember all the characters you saw during the run. Sounds like such a great experience! Thanks for sharing via TBT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had race brain during the second half and reading other blog recaps helped jog my memory. I was able to piece together the characters on the course.

      Delete