Thursday, February 12, 2015

Building Slow

Now that I'm over unpacking (OK, there are still a couple boxes I haven't touched) I'm back to working out.  I did 2.25 miles before I moved and felt great.  I did have to take a step back, and believe me, I got frustrated.  This building slow thing has never been for me.  I've always been the "go go GO!" person.  I want to do a 5k NOW, I wanted to be able to start planning races NOW, but I realized something on Tuesday that makes me feel better about building slowly.

My stamina sucks.

Yes I'm on the treadmill a lot, so I can play with different speeds.  Let me tell y'all, upping my speed by just two clicks and I'm spent after a mile.  Where has my stamina gone?  I think I left it in Eugene in 2013, because I haven't found it yet.  I know, I know, I couldn't run for a year and a half, and that does take it's toll.  But when I moved to Dallas and decided to get back into shape, it wasn't this difficult.  At least I don't remember it being this difficult.

So as much as I want to do a 5k, I'm not ready, either knee-wise or stamina-wise.  I still need to take it slow and if I can build a good base, I can keep going.

12 comments:

  1. Its just so awesome you are finally saying your able to build back up! But I feel your pain, it is terribly difficult to take your time and build it slow, trust me it's taken me over a year to build back up after my work injury. You'll get there, and taking the time will just mean no relapse! God luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more difficult than I thought but I am enjoying being able to workout again.

      Delete
  2. It's great that you are feeling better and ready to get back Into it. Good luck! -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow and steady. It's the right way but not the fastest.

      Delete
  3. I moved in August 2012 and we still have boxes to unpack....they sit in the front room waiting for a home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These boxes have decorations and I know I'll get to them, but I want to relax in my new home too.

      Delete
  4. I'm struggling with a similar issue right now and can't wait to start running races again. We've just got to remind ourselves that it's better to be smart and slow than jump into something we're not ready for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My masseuse stresses that. He says clients come back in because they built too soon, too much, too fast.

      Delete
  5. It will come back, just hang in there! It will return faster than you think:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. When I get tired, my form suffers.

      Delete
  6. You'll get back there soon! And I bet it will feel even easier when you can run outside again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to try outside again. I probably won't get the chance until I'm at a conference next month in Florida.

      Delete