Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Bookworm Wednesday: All Creatures Great and Small

Monday and Tuesday was Westminster, which I watch every year, and to continue the celebration of animals, today's post will be about James Herriot.  James Herriot was Alf Wight, who was a country vet in Yorkshire starting in 1940.  The stories are real, with animals and clients Herriot worked with during his country vet days.  Some will make you laugh and some will make you cry (seriously, you will need tissues!).  They are great books, and I highly recommend them for all animal lovers. 

These books inspired me as a kid, and until middle school, I wanted to be a vet.  7th grade hit and after dissecting everything, including a fresh cow's heart, I almost broke down when I told my parents I didn't want to be a vet anymore :( I still read these books but needless to say, I'm not a vet.


All Creatures Great and Small
All Things Bright and Beautiful
All Things Wise and Wonderful
The Lord God Made Them All


12 comments:

  1. I'm starting to compile a list of possible books to read when we're on our Florida vacation. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are good books, even when a specific story is sad.

      Delete
  2. I don't remember reading this as a child but I do need to get back to reading more. We have a vacation next week and I am planning on knocking out a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We read these as a family when I was growing up and I've gotten my own copies now.

      Delete
  3. We never read these books in school. I love animal books but they always seem to end sad. Like you know what's going to happen.-L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though there are sad stories, these aren't like Old Yeller or Where the Red Fern Grows. He talks about both animal patients and the people he worked with.

      Delete
  4. I love these books. My Mother read them to us when we were young. I have reread them several times over the years. They are timeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I have my favorite stories and favorite people. We also watch the BBC productions.

      Delete
  5. Wow, this book is a blast from the past. I remember reading it in school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We read them as a family. I wish what we read in school was fun like these.

      Delete
  6. I remember these books, I think I even owned a couple of them as a child, good memories:)

    ReplyDelete