Thursday, January 8, 2015

The PT Plan

I've mentioned a couple times my PT and I talked about what the game plan will be, but I haven't elaborated yet.  Until this week, I was focused on building my strength back up after being sick since my form suffers if I'm tired.  And if my form suffers, I feel it in my knee.  I did 2 miles the weekend before I flew to Denver, and I was feeling good.

My ITBS was bothering me a little bit over this weekend, so I was hitting the foam roller and lacrosse ball multiple times a day.  One thing I was shocked about when I had the flu, it was almost like my sciatic nerve was inflamed.  As I was laying in bed, I could feel so much muscle tightness from my lower back, through my hips and IT bands, and into my quads.  Just total yuck!

But I did do PT on NYE Day and discussed the game plan.  It is changing things up, a lot, but I trust in what they want me to do.  First, he wants me to run three times a week.  I've been running two times a week, with more focus on strength training, stretching, yoga, and foam rolling.  I'll still be doing that, but PT would like me to do tempo runs and intervals to pick up speed and get stronger.

The other aspect that's changing is more HIIT as strength training.  If I do weight work, I should be doing low weight, high reps.  I did my first HIIT on Monday, for abs, and ouch!  When I woke up Tuesday I wasn't as sore as I thought, but steadily the soreness crept in and I could definitely feel it yesterday.  I need to look at my weekly schedule and see if I need to change things, add a workout day when there was a rest day, etc.


4 comments:

  1. I'm sure that HIIT is a great form of training! I typically shy away from it (because it's hard!) but I'm sure its very beneficial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shied away from it because in high school it would make me lightheaded. I know it's a good work out but that always concerned me.

      Delete
  2. That is actually very exciting. I remember when my PT told me it was time to move on,I was still in pain and asked if they were sure. She said yes. Its scary and you still have to listen to your body. But when they say time to build strength that usually means your body is ready to fully mend. Good luck with your new program and training. I am excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely scary but at the same time I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete