Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My Worst Race

Tuesdays on the Run with April, Patty, and Erika.


If you're a long-time reader, you might know which race this will be.  If you're new, my worst race was the 2014 Disney World half marathon.  It's my worse race because everything was against me, from training to weather to mood, it's one of those races I'd like a do-over, starting with maybe even signing up.

Let's rewind a little bit.  In 2013, I was signed up to do the Eugene half marathon that April, and training was going very well until mid-March, when I was hit with the dreaded ITBS.  I was able to push through the rest of training and PR at the half, but my right leg blew up.  Even with all that, I figured with rest, foam rolling and stretching, I would be able to do the 2014 Disney World half and I signed up when registration opened.


Speed up and not only was my ITBS still present, it got worse over the fall, even after switching shoes, seeing a chiropractor (who did fix a lot of other issues), even walking during training.  I couldn't run more than 2 miles without being hit with excruciating pain.  But I signed up for the half, so I was doing the race.  Shows how stupid I can be when my stubborn streak kicks in.

So I walked.  I walked the entire 13.1 miles at Disney and I didn't enjoy it one bit.  After seeing the 10k medals, I was kicking myself for not doing the 10k instead.  I was having fun with family and friends, having fun in the parks, but all I wanted was for the race to be over.  The weather was so humid, it was awful.  My fingers swelled up to sausages and I was desperate for salt on the course.  My leg was heavily taped, but that still didn't prevent it from bothering me during the second half of the course.  But I finished!

My time was awful!  I came in just under 16 minutes a mile, but I did it.  It's the bad experiences that teaches us about perseverance and I learned I could still complete 13.1 miles when everything was against me.  It certainly wasn't fun, and I know it'll be a while before I do another half.  Now that I'm now just coming back from ITBS, I'm finding the fun in running again.  I'll do a race when I'm ready, but I'm enjoying being back at it.

14 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really difficult experience and I give you alot of credit for making it through! I think it would be much harder to walk a half-marathon than to run one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was harder to walk it, just with all the time I was out on the course.

      Delete
  2. Great job persevering and completing the half marathon despite your injury! Glad your ITBS issues are over! I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so. At least I know where to go now if it flares up.

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I know your pain! (sorta) I was signed up for a half and had three stress fractures so I also walked it - so dang miserable. You DO just want it to end! Hopefully, never again, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Part of me didn't want to do the race but I signed up to do it.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear about your experience but like you said at least you finished! -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I got that medal and it means a lot.

      Delete
  5. I walked the second half of the Tink Half course in 2014 and learned that walking a distance race is no fun at all for me! I have a stubborn streak too and probably should have hit a medical tent but I was determined to get my Coast 2 Coast medal so I just slogged it out. So glad the ITBS is healed up! Thanks for linking up with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had had someone walking it with me, I'm sure it would've been fun. But I was on my own and just wanted to get to the finish line.

      Delete
  6. That must have been extremely tough. I'm glad you are better and are getting back to it. There will be lots of other opportunities for great races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to plan too far ahead, but I'm feeling good. I think mentally too I needed a break so I could come back stronger in that aspect too.

      Delete
  7. I very much agree, that we need the bad races to teach us what we are made of! You finished and that's all the matters, plus that is a beautiful piece of bling:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bling was absolutely motivating.

      Delete