Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Healthy Over Thanksgiving

Another Tuesday on the Run, with April, Patty, and Erika.


Staying healthy over Thanksgiving can be daunting, especially if you're traveling.  I stayed in DFW and was able to keep up with my normal schedule, though I did swap yoga from Thursday to Friday.  I did 2 miles (!) on Saturday and then strength training Sunday.  I always try not to indulge too much on Thanksgiving, but this year there was so much good food, I had two helpings, and barely had a dinner.  I did come home with leftovers, but I had those for dinner Friday.

Dinner?  Well, it was two pieces of toast with peanut butter.  I didn't feel hungry, but I knew I'd need something so I wasn't starving when I woke up Friday morning.  I was on break, so no need for an alarm, and if I woke up early, I could go back to bed after feeding Allie.  Trust me, if the cat knows you're awake, you won't get any rest until they're fed.

We do have a number of turkey trots in DFW, especially the YMCA Turkey Trot.  That one I think has 40,000 runners.  I'm not up to 3 miles yet, only 2, but those 2 miles were painfree!  For the first time since pre-March 2013!  Of course I'd love to be at 3 miles, but I'm not there yet, and I'm not gonna make my December goal race :(

And just for fun, here's what it's like having a Christmas tree with a cat.  I am waging this very battle.


10 comments:

  1. Wow 40,000 runners for a Turkey trot is amazing!

    Too bad I can't see the Christmas tree pic. ( it says "plugin is missing".) maybe it's because I am on my phone? - M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. My phone won't bring it up either. I used youtube's regular link and not a mobile. It's exactly what I'm dealing with.

      Delete
  2. Cats are Christmas trees are trouble for sure, haha!! I miss having a kitty of my own. Good that you were able to keep a good schedule while traveling, that can be so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not traveling helped a lot. My tree is still standing 5 days later, so maybe she's behaving while I'm work.

      Delete
  3. Two pain free miles, that is awesome! My fingers are crossed that you'll soon be able to get over the injury parts and be back up in mileage like you would like.
    Also, that is seriously a lot of people for a Turkey Trot, wow that is crazy, but a good crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It's actually too many people for me. I'd rather do a Turkey Trot in my area instead of having to drive to downtown Dallas.

      Delete
  4. Great job on the run and strength training! I've had a few nights of peanut butter toast for dinner, it's a nice break if I've had a big lunch. Thanks for linking up with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't even really hungry after the Thanksgiving meal, but I knew if I didn't eat anything, I'd be starving in the morning.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you are being smart about working your way up to 3 miles! I can't believe how many runners did that turkey trot- thats like the size of the Baltimore Running Festival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two events, a 5k and an 8-miler, but I don't know how that's broken down for numbers. It's considered THE turkey trot to do in Dallas.

      Delete