Friday, November 3, 2017

Keeping Busy in the Winter

Winter's fast approaching, if Colorado weather is any indication.  My race is fast approaching too.  While I always take time off after a race, it's also important to stay active during the holidays.  Holidays can add extra stress, and I am affected by the dark afternoons.  I didn't like them when I was a kid, but the older I've gotten, the more crabby I am with the lack of sunshine.

I do intend to enjoy the holidays, and December is usually when things kick off.  November doesn't really feel special until Thanksgiving, so I have a little bit of time to take my break from cardio, but then I plan to start easy workouts again.


1) My treadmill came!  Shoutout to my dad who put it together.  I got to test it out yesterday for my taper run, and it's quite nice.  It's down in the basement, which is now open to the cat, but she didn't join me.  I don't think she likes the pounding sound of running on the machine.  I'll runfess too, I got my Christmas playlist out, you know, to break it in.

2) Pure Barre.  Of course.  I like the at-home workouts, and it's important for me to keep up with my strength training in the off-season.

3) Yoga.  I know it's at the very end of training, but I've started doing some yoga for stress release.  I'm under stress at the moment, and even though mentally I feel fine, my body is telling me it's needs some TLC.  The yoga routine isn't complex at all, but it's good for me to slow down at the end of the day, and do this routine.  It's slow, I focus on breathing, and it's been getting me ready for bed.  I've fallen asleep faster the nights I've done it.

4) Fun activities.  Remember how I said I intend to enjoy the holidays?  My mom and I are signed up for a cooking class at Sur la Table in December, and the class's focus is chocolate.  Yes please!

5) Rest when I need to.  It's not good to be burnt out either, so between easy workouts, and rest, I think I'll be able to get through the holidays having a fun time.  I'm not moving this year, which make Christmas even more fun.  I don't have to pack everything up, get the moving company, and drug Allie for the car ride.


Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

18 comments:

  1. Ooooh, a chocolate class . . . that could be dangerous!

    Congrats on the new treadmill! Can you believe that when Simba was alive, he'd jump up onto the control panel while I was walking/running on it? The cat had no fear. No wonder Gizmo's outlived him by almost 5 years (they were brothers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie does not go downstairs when I'm on the treadmill. She's fine when I'm upstairs and it's quiet.

      Delete
  2. Look at that beauty! I loved when I had my treadmill when I rented a house. My friend was nice enough to put it together for a free dinner later. Now that I live in a condo I had to take it back to my parent's:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like having this. The fitness center at my apartment was convenient, and I've missed having a quick option.

      Delete
  3. Lack of sunshine does seem a bit depressing sometimes. I go to work, and by the time I get off, it's dark already. I couldn't even enjoy the day.

    And congrats on the threadmill, and so happy your dad helped you put together.

    Have a great weekend!
    The Fitness Bro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad put it all together, but then he got to test it out first.

      Delete
  4. Oooh...that chocolate class sounds delish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! My mom and I were waiting for December's schedule and I know we're going to love the class.

      Delete
  5. So cool you got a treadmill! You are ready for a Colorado winter! I have NOT started the Christmas music yet, are you proud of me? I did make Christmas cookies last week...

    It's wonderful you will get to spend time with your mom during the cooking class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done any Christmas baking, but I don't start that until December.

      Delete
  6. That chocolate cooking class looks like it will be fun. I am excited for your treadmill too. One day I am hoping I can get one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very convenient having a treadmill in the house.

      Delete
  7. I have a Sole treadmill and I love it!! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's been good. I haven't really testing it out but will when I get a chance.

      Delete
  8. Love your new treadmill! I have a treadmill in my basement so on days where its very icy or snowy outside, I usually just use the treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is exactly what I did yesterday. Snow, ice, and darkness.

      Delete
  9. Oooooh nice mill! Wishing you many happy miles on that bad boy! Enjoy that chocolate class too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I got the mill in time for the time change. It gets dark very quickly after I get home.

      Delete