Friday, June 16, 2017

Summer Homework

Now that the temps are matching summer, I'm starting to come up with a plan for what I need to work on this off-season.  Having a race in November gives me plenty of time to keep up my strength training, and adding in work my chiro wants me to do.

#1: Cadence.  I've mentioned this before, but this is the number 1 priority of the summer, which is why it's first on the list.  I really need to work on my cadence this summer, and since it is summer, what better way to use the treadmill?  I want to get this in my head so I don't have to be thinking about it during my next training cycle.  I zone out when running, and don't want to think.

2) New shoes.  I haven't done any cardio since my 10k, but I have a chiropractor appointment next week, and I'll start up cardio after a mini vacation.  I do think I'll get the next New Balance model, but I'm doing the whole process of getting fitted to make sure the new shoes are right for me.

3) Revamp my workout list.  I'm phasing out songs that I've listened to all spring.  They're great songs, but I've heard them too much and need fresh songs.

4) Figure out strength training.  Now that I have a gym membership again, I need to balance body weight, Pure Barre at home, and weight training.  Doing this should give me a good all-around schedule, but I need to figure out which days are which.

5) A 10k schedule.  I don't want to be training as much as I was for Bolder Boulder since I was ready for the race, and ready to be done at the same time.  I've found Hal Hidgeon's 15k plan for a novice, and I like the aspect of having more time to work on a 10k compared to his 10k plan (8 weeks vs 10 weeks).  I'm tweaking the plan, but it has 3 running days, which is my normal number, and on my normal running days!  It would take me to 6 miles, and I hope not to hit the wall at 5.5 during the race.


Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

12 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to revamp my playlist too. It just always takes me so much time to download what I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll use new songs, but it does take a while to get what I want.

      Delete
  2. I have a hard time with strength training. I just take a class and hope that it gets me what I need. These sound like a great plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started doing fewer exercises each day, but more days in the week.

      Delete
  3. I have tried to work on my cadence too it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a little during my last training, but I kept zoning out.

      Delete
  4. Great "homework" list! Cadence is something I need to work on too. Oh, and my playlists are a few YEARS old. It just takes so much time to make a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cadence might be the last key to my injury.

      Delete
  5. I have to work on making a few new playlists, especially for my long runs this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like making playlists, but they take a while to evolve.

      Delete
  6. You're right: The treadmill is a great place to work on cadence. Mine has definitely improved since doing speedwork there. I need to refresh my playlist as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to get faster, and a faster cadence should help.

      Delete