Friday, June 2, 2017

Post Bolder Boulder Thoughts

This week has certainly been strange.  Combine a shortened week along with no training needed, and it's been very different.  Tuesday I certainly had some post-race blues, but I was also exhausted after all that fresh air on Monday.  Not only did I have my race, but I was in the press truck for the elite women's race.  I ended up zonking for half an hour over my lunch break at work, and then another half-hour nap when I got home.  By 5:30, I was finally feeling human again.  You do what you gotta do.

Here are my takeaways for the Bolder Boulder:

1) The wave start was awesome.  The best part about all the waves is they don't require runners to be in their waves until about 15-20 minutes before their wave starts.  Those times are also posted online so runners know when to get there.

2) The residents were awesome.  Again, awesome.  The residents of Boulder are part of the fun.  They're the ones who set up the slip n slides, super soakers, have beer ready, have bacon ready, etc.  One even had an above ground pool and was letting runners take a dip before running on.

3) Folsom Stadium.  The crowd is amazing, and loud, at Folsom, cheering on the runners.  I wanted to make sure I could enjoy it, which is why I walked up the hill to the stadium.


4) One thing I'll knock the race on, post-finish line, is we had to keep walking to get cups of water and Nuun, and then into the CU field house to get our post-race goodies, which was stuffy and the lines weren't moving quickly.  I will give good points to getting bottled water with our goodie bag, which also turned out to be a lunch bag.  I ended up missing the last water station before turning on to Folsom since I was on the opposite side of the road, and I didn't have the energy to make my way over there.  All I wanted was water.


5) People watching.  You think Disney is the only race with costumes?  Come to Boulder.  I saw Wizard of Oz costumes, beer costumes, t-rex runners, Forrest Gump, and the ever present banana costumes.  I even passed a banana runner at some point.


While there's no medal for the race, the photos are free.  I'm waiting for them to be posted, but the race was only on Monday, and photos are said to be available 5 business days after the event, on average.

Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

24 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like amazing crowd support! I feel like that really helps out with a race and makes it so much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The residents definitely make it fun. We do run thru their neighborhoods.

      Delete
  2. Except for the post race being outside, this race sounds a lot like the Ukrop's 10k here. I've heard a lot of good things about Boulder Boulder. I might have to make a trip out one year to visit my uncle and run this race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great race experience all around.

      Delete
  3. That's cool! I would personally rather have free photos than a medal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like medals, but then I hardly have good race pictures.

      Delete
  4. That's great that you do not have to get to your corral hours prior(like Disney) Less time to wait around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did get there early, but my family's done races like Disney and didn't know what to expect.

      Delete
  5. I really like a wave start too. I here that race is awesome maybe some year I will do it. I really struggled last year running at the skirt sports race out there. The altitude is really hard to get used to for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The altitude may have played a factor but I didn't feel it until the end.

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to do this race. Maybe someday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was what I kept saying, then signed up. This year seems to be about my bucket list races.

      Delete
  7. I'd love to do this race! I've heard so much about it and it sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. It's such a big event, and on Memorial Day, there's so many things going on.

      Delete
  8. I can just smell a girls' weekend. :)

    Seriously, it sounds like a great race! Although I do hate when I can't get water immediately. I'm always thirsty when I finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly was. We got cups, and then our goodies. I took Nuun and water since I was thirsty.

      Delete
  9. I've heard so much about BoulderToBoulder! I don't know if I could deal with the crowds, but Boulder is such a great place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crowds weren't bad, even when leaving. They really know how to organize.

      Delete
  10. How great that they have free race photos! Sounds like overall its really fun event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was nice, but I've been thru mine and I won't be downloading them. I rarely do.

      Delete
  11. This race sounds like all kinds of crazy fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The later waves certainly are. They're just fun!

      Delete
  12. Slip n slides and super soakers?! That sounds like a great race to me! I'll have to keep this one in mind if I'm ever around when it's taking place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get a little super soaker, but I avoided the slip n slides. You can tell the residents plan for the race too.

      Delete