Sunday, June 25, 2017

Monday Musings 6/26

I'm back from my 4-day weekend in the mountains.  Buckle up, because while I was still relaxing, my parents and I did quite a bit.

I drove Allie and myself up to my parents' house Thursday morning, leaving around 9am to let rush hour thin out.  Thursday was low key once I got to their house, and unwind from the drive.  It's not a difficult drive, but I'm more stressed whenever Allie is in the car.  She doesn't like traveling at all, but she loves my parents' house.  The last time she (and I) was up there was New Year's weekend.  Now that it's summer, it's a cat paradise.  Tons of windows, lots to explore, and wildlife to watch.



Friday was my first full day, and we decided to hike Adams Falls, which is reached by driving through or around Grand Lake, and not through the gate of Rocky Mountain National Park.  The melt off rushing down the waterway was amazing, and there's still snow that hasn't melted yet.  Even though the snow was slow to arrive this past winter, the mountains got a lot.  The lakes are almost full, and still expecting more.


After hiking, we went to a Grand Lake summer establishment, Myauchi's, for lunch.  I also splurged on a soft serve since this was technically vacation.  The rest of the afternoon was spent showing my parents Guardians of the Galaxy, since they had never seen it, and having dinner at home.  It's hard to tell how busy afternoons will get in town during the summer.

Saturday morning was spent at the house while my parents went to their gym's weight lifting circuit.  I actually did some weight training too since they have a weight bench and free weights.  Whatever I did, I ended up doing some back work too because I've been feeling my muscles between my shoulder blades all day today.  I did a little upper body work, but nothing that really targeted my upper back.


Proclamation recognizing the theater group by Gov. Hickenlooper
Saturday night was spent at the Rocky Mountain Rep Theater.  This is a high quality, Broadway-type talent troupe, and they have 3 summer shows each year, plus a fall show.  When they released the schedule back in the winter, I saw they were doing Mamma Mia! this year, and I really wanted to go. I love the movie since I find it so much fun, but I'd never seen the show on stage.  Of course now I'm listening to the movie soundtrack.

Sunday morning was spent in Rocky Mountain National Park.  We spotted moose, elk, more elk, and a deer.





I left a little after noon to try to get through the weekend traffic, which wasn't too bad.  The only slow spot was once I got on I-70 from 40, but it was never a stand-still.  One thing I noticed going up and over the mountain pass was there must've been some sort of cycling event going on.  I saw so many cyclists going down the pass the other way as I was going up, and then there were cyclists on the eastern side too, peddling up the pass.  I'm not sure what it was, but I'll keep looking.  There were a lot of cyclists.


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up, with guest host Zenaida.

30 comments:

  1. I love the pictures! CO is so beautiful! Did you take Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take I-70 to 40 and go up Berthoud Pass, but the drive in RMNP was up Trail Ridge to the alpine center.

      Delete
  2. Can't beat the view from that beautiful park! Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The park's incredible. I want to go back in the fall when the leaves are changing color.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful area! I can't wait to go to Colorado and New Mexico this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have fun. My parents went to Santa Fe last year and loved it.

      Delete
  4. Looks so beautiful! I'd love to have access to all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little bit of a drive, but the park is wonderful.

      Delete
  5. Love all your photos - so beautiful! I have never visited the mountains but I hope to do so one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recommend it. I've almost acclimated fully, but I was huffing and puffing hiking on Friday.

      Delete
  6. Wow, great photos!! Oh, and I love your purple Oiselle top! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics! I love that you saw so much wildlife. I bet you are loving living closer to your family so you can spend this quality time together more often! You are a good daughter! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice. I was thinking on Sunday that it was nice to not have to fly back home. 2 hours in the car and voila! home.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely weekend! The pics are gorgeous!! Glad you had a nice one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice long weekend. A little bit of activity and relaxing.

      Delete
  9. So, so beautiful there! I love waterfalls!

    Giz only gets in the car to go to the vet, and that's always pretty traumatic for the both of us. Thank God the dogs are so much easier!

    Mamma Mia is so much fun. I saw the play long before the movie came out. Both are super fun! Did you know they're talking about a sequel to the movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see that. I'm always skeptical about sequels.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I think I need an actual camera if I'm going to be up there more.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a fun weekend! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I got to get out of the heat too and enjoy cooler temps while the storms hit the front range.

      Delete
  12. What a lovely weekend! Thanks for sharing some pics. :) I've been to CO a few times but never really to do any exploring/adventuring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colorado is known for adventuring.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a great time! I'll have to look up that area next time I visit my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40 goes by Winter Park too, and they're always doing stuff in the summer, around ski season.

      Delete
  14. The Adams Falls seems spectacular, Lesley! You must have had a stunning experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen melt off like that before, and there's more to come. It was impressive.

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous pictures, Lesley! Looks like you had a nice vacation and time with your parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, and I was moping Sunday when I got home. That darn work gets in the way.

      Delete