Monday, May 8, 2017

Monday Musings 5/8

Happy Monday!

Tomorrow I'm updating my driver's license at the Boulder DMV, then heading back to my county to the Department of Revenue to get my Colorado license plates.  I found out the DMVs in Colorado take appointments, and I snagged one, which is why I'm taking the whole day off tomorrow to get this all done.  There aren't a lot of appointments each day, but if you get one, I'm told they take you in at that time and limits the waiting.  If you do go without an appointment, good luck!

She does NOT like being at the vet
I'll be honest, I didn't do much cardio last week since I was busy for a few of the days after work.  I didn't mean to be that busy, but that's how everything fell in place.  I could've run Tuesday, but I was tired after my long run on Sunday (5.25 miles), and I didn't want to push things.  Plus it started raining and thundering, so no thanks.  Wednesday was Allie's annual vet checkup, and I'd say poor girl since she got her rabies booster, but she was zooming around that evening, so I don't think it affected her much.  Thursday I had my chiropractor appointment, and Friday I stopped by Fidelity to give them paperwork to help me rollover my retirement plan from Texas.  Whew!

I did good news at my chiropractor appointment.  She said my core is getting stronger, which means my hip flexors and quads are loosening up.  I hope that means there's less strain on my knees from above, and if my calves are getting stronger, less strain on my knees from below.  No wonder my ITBS has lasted this long.  While checking out and paying for the appointment, I picked up one of the cards for the massage therapist in that office suite, since I intend to treat my muscles after the BolderBOULDER.  The massage spas do not use the pressure I need, and they don't pay attention to the muscles I refer to.


Saturday I finally got out for a run and completed 4.5 miles.  I was aiming for another 5-mile run, but for some reason my piriformis started cramping a little bit around 3.25 miles, so I was paying close attention to how it would bother my knee.  It held out for more than another mile, when I felt the very beginning of twinging, so I stopped, and since I was in the neighborhood, it took me 1 minute to get home.  I crossed over the 4.5 mark right when I got to my garage.  I did a couple activation exercises I'd never done before a run, just during strength training, so that could've been why my piriformis was bothering me.  I certainly focused on strength training both those spots after my run, and yesterday.


Finally, I got to Target for some organization stuff.  My workout equipment has been strewn across a corner of the living room, and I really needed to get that out of the way.  Target had the perfect bin on clearance, and all my stuff fits.  It's even tall enough for my Stick and Addaday roller.  The empty corner looks so much better, with a couple of cats toys in place of my equipment.


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

18 comments:

  1. Aw Allie at the vet! Mine hate the vet too. You'd think they'd be up for the adventure and the attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! She was so tense during the exam, the vet didn't even try to feel her joints. She was so tight and wasn't moving.

      Delete
  2. Good luck at the DMV, I think an appt is the smart way to go!
    I've been missing a while, and it looks like you've gone up quite a bit in your mileage this winter and spring, that is awesome that things have been going so well for you and running, and getting past your injury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been working very diligently with my chiropractor, and it seems to be working. I know I have to keep this up because she said the twinging can start out of nowhere.

      Delete
  3. Ugh, the DMV! When my youngest got his license we were there for 3 HOURS! OMG. It's the worst.

    Glad to hear you're getting settled in to your place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first state I've lived in that takes appointments, otherwise I'd have been there when they opened today. Set up camp and commence the waiting.

      Delete
  4. Good luck at the DMV! Hopefully, the appointment this works out well. I snagged an appt in NV when I renewed my license back in Aug. It was smooth sailing. I forgot to mention making an appt to my husband when he had to renew his in Feb, so it was not smooth sailing for him. Oops! #badwife

    That great news from your chiropractor! I hope your knees hold up for your race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's smooth sailing, but I'm taking the whole day off to get this done.

      Delete
  5. Nice job with your runs even though you didn't get to go as far as you hoped. I hope your piriformis issue gets better. My kitties don't like the vet either, poor things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll test it out today with my run. It hasn't bothered me in a while, so why now?

      Delete
  6. I hope everything goes smoothly with the DMV. It was a nightmare for us, basically, but hopefully that won't be the case for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just think of the BBT with Sheldon at the DMV. Gotta find some humor in it.

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the DMV! With strength training/recovery I think there's a fine line between building strength and overdoing it. You did great listening to your body. Hopefully your piriformis lets you go further next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've overdone foam rolling, and have felt even tighter afterwards. I try to do no more than a certain number of exercises each day so I can still benefit from them all.

      Delete
  8. I can not even image going to the DMV in a big town. Hell even in our small town it is crazy and you almost must take off an entire afternoon to get anything done there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DMV wasn't bad to get my license here. I've had to wait and wait before though.

      Delete
  9. Good news on having a stronger core! The last time I visited the DMV, I was pleasantly in and out in 15 minutes. Go figure! I need a lot of stuff to get organized. And, I'd go to Target any day over Walmart. Thanks for linking, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too this time. I guess it depends on the day because it was pretty quiet when I was there.

      Delete