Sunday, May 21, 2017

Monday Musings 5/22

One more week until Race Day!  I'm excited, and at the same time, I'm ready for a break.  I finally got to the gym, and did 3 miles on Friday to get some of the taper craziness out.  It was building, with me stressing about the weather with Thursday's snowstorm.  The town I live in got close to 5 inches of snow, and inspired a Christmas idea to get some Yaktrax.  I've started a list, but I don't intend to add to it in the next couple months.  If Colorado spring gets more winter type weather, Yaktrax would be handy.

Then Sunday I did 3.25 miles, and after this week, I'll be doing 2-something miles.  I also did some strength training, but I'll also be tapering with strength training as well as mileage.  My calves were a little tired on Friday, so tapering on both aspects will hopefully mean my legs will be refreshed.


Friday started with an email from RnR saying the price increase for Vegas is the 23rd.  That doesn't exactly leave much room for a smart decision, and I've been eying the Vegas RnR for a couple years. I got FOMO really bad with the medal design last year, and I don't want to suffer FOMO again.


I spent Saturday afternoon in Boulder, running errands, and getting my hair cut.  I went to Sephora and REI, and REI was to get some last minute things for the race.  I ran out of Body Glide cream a couple weeks ago, and I don't like the stick version.  I like that I can search on REI to see if something I'm looking for is at a particular store.  I got the Body Glide, shower wipes since it'll be a while before I can shower after the race, with the press truck stuff, and then I splurged and bought a pair of Oiselle Roga shorts.  Two seconds in the dressing room, and they were coming home with me.  When I wore them on my run Sunday, I didn't even notice them.  I'll be wearing them for Bolder Boulder.

Then at my hair cut I got my ends cleaned up, and some weight taken out.  I have fine hair, but I have a lot of it.  My hair has the ability to have a lot of weight, and whenever I'm in for haircut, I get some of that weight taken out.  It felt nice and light on my Sunday run, and it'll feel nice during my race.  After about a month, the weight starts growing back.


Then Sunday afternoon, I made spaghetti sauce.  I make a huge batch each time, and freeze it in quart size bags for the summer.  Sometimes it's nice to not worry about at least one meal for dinner during the summer and pull out a bag to thaw during the day.  It also means Sunday dinner was spaghetti, and one day during the week will be spaghetti with some leftovers.  Carb loading?


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

20 comments:

  1. Mmmm your spaghetti sauce looks good! We made it once but it was a bust! I did just plant my garden and did 5 tomato plants this year. Hopefully they are fruitful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Nothing like fresh tomatoes!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you're ready for this weekend! Can't wait to hear how everything goes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. I've had a much better training cycle, but I need my leg to behave next Monday.

      Delete
  3. The Vegas rnr race was my favorite half ever! So much fun and I loved the late afternoon start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try a night race. Why not when the Strip is lit?

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you're all ready for the race! And I'm so impressed that you make your own spaghetti sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all the time, but it is worth it. I can't eat canned sauce because of this.

      Delete
  5. Good luck on the upcoming race!
    If you decide to run RnR Vegas let me know, I have another blogger friend running it so I am going to drive up that day to cheer (hopefully) and I'd be happy to cheer you on too, I don't live to far from Vegas so that is why:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will, but haven't signed up yet.

      Delete
  6. I"ll be at LV so maybe we can meet up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I'm really leaning towards this and I ant seem to talk myself into a closer race.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a good weekend. I've never heard of Body Glide cream - I'll have to check it out. Did Boulder get snow last week? I'm glad we missed it getting into Denver on Friday and couldn't believe how nice it was over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it better than the stick version since I find it's easier to apply.

      Delete
  8. So, don't leave us in suspense, did you sign up for rent vegas? Do they still have the half of the half as well as the half and 5k?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. They do have a 10k, and that's the one I want to do.

      Delete
  9. I just ordered shower wipes. :)

    Totally understand about being excited & ready for a break! Can't wait to hear about the race.

    I am not ready to pull the trigger on Vegas. I suspect I won't do it because I'm not gonna wanna pay $150.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exciting that race day is almost here, but it'll be nice to not have to worry about staying on schedule.

      Delete
  10. Enjoy the taper, can't wait to hear how the race goes! I wish I did more meal prep, I am just TOO lazy - I should follow your footsteps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sauce makes a lot so I can freeze it, but I don't do much meal prep in general. I make a list but decide what I want each morning.

      Delete