Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Mental Tips for Race Day

Today's topic is mental tips for running.  Our minds can inflict negative thoughts so often, but we're stronger than that.  Sometimes it doesn't feel that way.  The best advice I got before running my first half marathon was that I've done the training, now it's time for fun.  Race day is what it's all about.


One tip I always do is try to find video of the races, and especially the course, on social media.  Youtube is a treasure trove when it comes to big time races.  Sometimes races will even post their own review of the course - BolderBOULDER has one, which I watched a couple weeks ago.  It's one thing to drive the roads in Boulder, but it's another thing to run the roads.  Even though I've driven up Walnut, which is the start, and up to Valmont, I didn't notice it was slightly uphill.  My all-wheel drive car drove up it smoothly so I never noticed it before.  Without watching that, I wouldn't have known how important the hills in my neighborhood have been.  I know the hill on the main road is steeper than what we'll be running, and I certainly hate running that road, but now I know what to expect during the first couple of miles.  The trick will be not to go out too fast and conserve my energy. 

The other tip is really study the course map.  After doing that, I know we turn onto Valmont, between 30th and 28th, and that road is under construction.  I have no idea what it's going to look like, but that's the road I take when I leave my chiropractor's office, and it's a mess at 5pm.  I'll be looking at the road to make sure there's nothing to make me trip or turn an ankle.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

12 comments:

  1. Great advice. For the Buffalo Half Marathon coming up, I'm going to make sure that we drive the entire course so we know what to expect - but videos are a great resource! It really adds some peace of mind because you know what to expect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Videos help a lot. I'd feel bad driving the course because it does go through neighborhoods.

      Delete
  2. I find it really helpful to drive the course, if possible. We did that in Big Sur and Holly and I did it in Door County. It really helps me with pre-race jitters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly study the maps and use Youtube. I can also scout out the water stations and plan around those.

      Delete
  3. Yes! I love watching videos of the courses, especially if it's one I can't drive ahead of time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice!
    I've never been one to look at courses beforehand, I train in Utah so I'm pretty good with anything thrown at me. But funny story I ran my first two trail marathons without realizing until I lined at the start they were all on trails, LOL It was all good, but I always get reminded of how funny that was when others tell me they review courses first. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely do research so there are no surprises. I wouldn't have known about the construction in town if I didn't work here.

      Delete
  5. Studying the course and watching a video are great ways to get prepared for a race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also gets me excited for the race.

      Delete
  6. Those are great tips. I'm mentally in a much better place when I know the course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps a lot. I know there are variables, but knowing some ahead of time calms me down.

      Delete