Wednesday, May 17, 2017

I Joined a Gym and Taper Paranoia

For the first time in maybe two years, I have a gym membership again.  I broke down.  I couldn't take it anymore.  I hate Colorado weather right now.  Sure, this is coming from someone who moved up from Texas, but as a runner, the weather is driving me nuts. 

Last Monday I lost the chance to meet up with a running group in town because of thunderstorms, and yesterday I lost the chance to run again because of storms.  Ever since we hit May, the weather has been all over the place each day.  It starts out chilly, then the morning weather looks perfect, with no precipitation on my weather app, and then storms roll in during the afternoon.  I thought I had a window of opportunity when I was driving home yesterday since the storms were sticking to Boulder, but it was raining when I got home.  Grrr!  I might be able to handle rain if it starts during a run, but I'm toast if it's already raining.

So, I've had it.  I can't miss this many runs during my taper, and yes, I know part of me is being paranoid.  I wanted to do 3.5ish yesterday, and I ended up doing 0.  It's hard for me to figure this weather out since May in Texas means the last gasp of nice temps until maybe Halloween.  No rain, and certainly no snow... we're supposed to get snow Thursday night into Friday.  Yup, I'm losing my cool.  I may have done 5 miles for the second time last Tuesday, but I'm losing my mind during this short taper period.

So now I have a gym membership.  With the weather coming in this week, I can use the treadmill, which is better than nothing, and I have a free personal training session.  I don't know if I'll go beyond the one session, but I have the summer to decide.






Coaches' Corner with Running on Happy, Suzlyfe, Crazy Running Girl, and Coach Debbie Runs.

12 comments:

  1. But TX often had the same problem (thunderstorms rolling in in the afternoon!). Still, having access to a treadmill is a good thing. Of course I'd rather run outside, but it's supposed to be 90 tomorrow. My body just doesn't need that kind of stress right now!

    Hope you are able to get out & run or use those treadmills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I noticed last year since I'd already done my 10k. I didn't have to worry about the weather.

      Delete
  2. Haha--sounds like the weather we have here in Chicago. I think you'll get used to it and you'll adapt your runs to the changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a gym will help with that. As much as I wanted to be outside during this training, there are some things out of my control.

      Delete
  3. It's worth it to be near family i'm glad you're making the adjustments you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my first spring here and it's thrown me for a loop!

      Delete
  4. It's not just you in Colorado. Our weather has been so crazy the last two weeks. It's seriously driving me insane. Good call on joining a gym!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy I joined with today's weather. forecast said rain, reality is snow.

      Delete
  5. A gym membership sounds like a great idea! I would be in the same boat you are if I moved away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'll use it once I take my break after BolderBoulder. I just needed to sign up earlier than planned.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes I feel bad about going to the gym to run, but sometimes the weather simply won't allow me to run outside! It's good to have that membership in your back pocket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has certainly made it tough. The treadmill is better than being stuck inside, doing nothing.

      Delete