Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Starting Wave

I got an email yesterday saying my BolderBOULDER packet is ready for pickup, and my wave starts at 7:31am.  I think my wave is FG since my bib # starts with those two letters.  This is the earliest my packet has been ready, but it makes sense that they want the locals to pick up their race packets early.  This is a race that has 40,000 runners, and if all 40k packets were being picked up in one weekend, they'd need the space that Disney has.

I looked up the wave list, and it looks like FG is the first wave after of the qualified ones.  What I mean by that is the first chunk of waves is for those who are going to complete the race is 68 minutes or less.  Then comes the non-qualified running waves, the jogging waves, then the walking waves.  The 68 minutes or less waves do require proof of time to get in, and they do require the time to be within one year of the BB.  You can use any race from 2 miles and up as proof of time, or a treadmill run at the BolderBOULDER store.


The first wave starts at 6:55am, and the first 30 waves are for those who qualified.  My FG wave is the first non-qualified running wave, and I put my projected time down to 11:30 a mile.  I ended up running faster than that on my last training run, when I was working on a faster cadence.  The last piece of the injury puzzle seems to be my cadence, but I haven't trained at that speed yet.  I'll do my best to continue the faster cadence, but we'll see what my cardio can hold up to.

Wondering where the elites are?  They actually go off after all of the other runners.  Runners need to finish by 11:45 to allow time for the elite races.  The last walking wave starts at 9:22, and the elite women start after 11, with the elite men shortly after that.  The Memorial Day tribute starts at Folsom when the elites cross the finish line.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

22 comments:

  1. Interesting! I had no idea that this was such a big race. I like how they split the waves up and I'd never heard of a race where the elites start after all the other runners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the elites would be first too.

      Delete
  2. That's interesting the elites go last. It's usually the other way around! And 40K?! I had no idea it was such a big race!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be the biggest 10k in the country. I know this one and Peachtree are huge.

      Delete
  3. I just read about this race in my WR Magazine today! I knew it was large but I think it said it was the largest 10K in the nation. Yay that you get to experience it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited too. They have so many waves but it works.

      Delete
  4. Bolder Boulder is a BIG deal! Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This'll be my first time in Boulder for this. Thankfully my wave is early.

      Delete
  5. What an interesting event! I've never heard of elites going last! Sounds like a neat race to run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! It's been on my bucket list for a few years.

      Delete
  6. That's crazy that the elites go off after everyone else. I wonder why that is? This is going to be so fun for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why, but they really do make it a race with the elites. All the other runners are off the course.

      Delete
  7. The first time I did Vegas it was that large. It was definitely kind of crazy, and not quite the well oiled machine Bolder Boulder seems to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the organization is great with Bolder Boulder, but they've also had decades to get it right.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a big race, but it seems like it will be well organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard they've got the wave system down to a T. I'm getting excited.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I hope I will. My training's had a couple hiccups, but it's also gone well so far.

      Delete
  10. Wow, 40,000 participants for a 10k?!? That's insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's huge, and a huge festival for the town.

      Delete
  11. Hope you have an amazing time! And wow, elites going off last? That is odd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to the race. One more month to go!

      Delete