After getting snow last Tuesday, it seems spring has come back, at least for now. It is supposed to cool off a little bit this weekend, and hopefully I'll get a good run in tomorrow morning. I did 3.75 miles in my new inserts, and I want to push myself beyond that.
1) After talking hydration, it becomes more and more important as the temps rise. It was 80 degrees when I was driving home yesterday, and I started hydrating immediately when I got home. It's important to start the fluids before the workout, and I was sipping water as I was changing into my running gear.
2) It's also important to adjust the speeds for warmer weather. I did two runs in my new neighborhood this week, and both were a cardio struggle. It'd almost been a week since I ran when I was out on Monday, but yesterday the temperature was warmer and I had to slow down. At least my new inserts felt OK.
3) Hats and sunblock become ever more important when the sun is setting later. My new dermatologist said it's important to reapply, and reapplying is more important than a higher SPF. High SPF is good, but if you forget to reapply, you'll still get burned.
4) I don't know if it's time to put the tights and capris away, but I've defintiely brought out the compression shorts and Running Skirts. And calf sleeves. Those are proving to be very important as I deal with my calves.
5) Finally, and not running related, since the temps are rising, it's my annual phase out the red wines and bring in the whites. I still do have two red wines in my wine fridge, but summer means Sauvignon Blancs, Chardonnays, and Pinot Grgios. It's always fun to be able to get the spring/summer recipes out, and I'm thinking fish this weekend. It depends what I can find at Whole Foods. They may be expensive, but they had a great fish selection in Dallas, and I'm hoping they'll have that selection here.
Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.