Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Bolder Boulder

Tuesdays on the Run is talking about local races.  The timing's funny since I became a Bolder Boulder Blogger last week, and I got the badge for my blog yesterday.  I was going to talk about this race anyway since it's the only local race I know of right now.  I've only been in Boulder a couple months.


The Bolder Boulder is a 10k, and probably the largest 10k in the country, and the past few years there have even been satellite races at military bases.  It's run every year on Memorial Day, and anyone can sign up and run.  There are qualifying waves if you're speedy, jogging waves, walking waves, and then, when all those runners are off the course, the elites have their race on the same course.  It's huge, with maybe 40-50k running.

If you think Disney is the only race with costumes, you haven't been to Boulder.  There are all kinds of costumes, and I can't wait to see what people have in store.  There are beer stops and slip n slides, which I'll pass on.  Since I hurt myself on a slip n slide last summer, I'm very careful around those things.  No need to hurt myself during this race.


The course itself is within walking distance of the apartment I'm in, but I'm moving to Arvada in April.  Boo!  I could've slept in, rolled out of bed, and walked over when my wave started.  BB has tons of waves, and from what I hear, they've perfected the wave start since there are so many runners.  I certainly not fast enough for a qualifying wave, but a jogging wave is fine.  The course runs through Boulder, and finishes at Folsom Field.  And good thing I was at Folsom for the event with Emma Coburn and Jenny Simpson.  The road up to Folsom is a hill!  Who put an up-hill before mile 6 of a 10k???  I'll have to have a strategy for that.

This will be my first race in my Oiselle singlet.  I'm looking forward to that.  I got the singlet after I ran Tink last year, and since Tink was my only race of 2016, I haven't had a chance to wear my singlet yet.  It's got a special place in my closet, just waiting for this race. 


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

12 comments:

  1. How fun!! I've never run a race that large - can't wait to hear about your experience. Congrats on becoming a blogger with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! They're known for the organization, and I'll be writing about that.

      Delete
  2. Congrats, ambassador! I've heard such great things about this race. Love the town; visited this summer and thought Boulder was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful. I'm hoping for great weather that day.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to do Bolder Boulder! How fun that you get to be an ambassador!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time too! I'm excited to see what I get to do.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on being selected as an ambassador!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a lot of runners for a 10K! It looks like an awesome race and I hope you have a great time! Congrats on the ambassadorship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I do. I haven't done a race since last May, and I hope I'll have a good time.

      Delete