Friday, March 24, 2017

Crazy Spring

We're almost in April, but March is still looking a little crazy.  We're in a red zone with fire danger, and eastern Colorado is getting snow today.  Boulder got rain, which I'm fine with.  The forecasters got it wrong before.  March is unpredictable, but I've been enjoying the spring temps.  Oh, and my new phone case came, from Karen Hallion.


One thing I'm happy with running outside is I've been given cadence homework.  I always suck at cadence and slip into my natural running stride.  A few years ago, I switched from a heel striker to a more midfoot-to-frontfoot striker, but I've struggled with cadence.  I know the number should be around 180 per minute, but I honestly couldn't tell you what my number is, except way below that.  180 seems fast, for sure, and I've never kept track.

I tried the cadence thing yesterday on my run, and my left calf got really cranky.  Understandable because this was not my natural stride.  It was cranky near my Achilles, and in a spot that made me worry it was my IT band on that leg.  Oh, I so don't need that.  Considering my left leg hasn't given me issues, I'll chalk it up to the cranky calf.  I did some calf raises during a Pure Barre DVD workout, and the last time I did those, my calves were in fact cranky.  I almost didn't do those, but I did.  Lesson learned.  I'll skip those from now one.

I've also been working my calves hard with the exercises I've been given to strengthen said muscles.  Today is my full rest day of the week, and I may skip my run tomorrow to give my calves some extra rest.  I've only skipped one run this month, since I needed a running belt.  I don't feel too bad if I need an extra rest day, especially if my calves need it.  I've learned there's nothing wrong with an extra rest day here and there, and it doesn't drive me crazy anymore when I decide to take one.  Since I almost took one yesterday, and my calf spoke up, it may be a good idea to rest a little bit more.

I feel like I've been doing well since my "official" training began for Bolder Boulder.  It's hard to find a good 10k plan that takes time and isn't too short.  I need time to push my distance, then recover, and slowly build again.  I have an idea for my training, and if my left leg is OK, I'll continue on my schedule.  I'm in a better place than I was last year at this time, and I've checked off 4.25 miles this week.  I'll continue to push if I feel good, then see what happens on race day.


Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

16 comments:

  1. You are right, it IS hard to find a good 10K plan. I don't think I ever had one when training for a 10K...haha. Hope some nice weather comes your way and stays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd be nice just to have some guidance and be able to take my time building mileage.

      Delete
  2. I saw that people have been evacuated due to wildfires in Boulder! Were you near that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were west of downtown, and I'm east of downtown. They got it under control quickly, but the smell that day was awful.

      Delete
  3. I have tried to increase my cadence as well over the past few years it is not easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may put it off until after BB. I have so much to work on, it may be best to wait when I don't have a race to train for.

      Delete
  4. That phone case--is she running to the portapotty? Am I obsessed or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. It's a Dr. Who TARDIS. I'm sure the Doctor has a bathroom in there.

      Delete
  5. I've heard about the fires in CO. Very scary. I hope you get some rain. Very cute phone case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got some rain today. It was very much needed, and makes a good lazy afternoon.

      Delete
  6. Increasing cadence is tough! Good job taking some extra rest when you needed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no need to push when I've been doing well.

      Delete
  7. Do you run with a metronome? Adjusting cadence is difficult and it helps. I'm not sure what your homework is, but say you're at 170, you should increase it a couple steps per day so not all out 180. So start at 170 (or wherever you're at) and then increase it to say, 174 for a week or so. Then increase to 176-178. Then finally to 180. Run with the metronome going until you've hit the 180 for about a solid week and then turn it off and see if you can replicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"m not sure either, but I know my cadence isn't anywhere near 180. I don't have a metronome, but is there an app I can download?

      Delete
  8. I have a hard time with the cadence thing too. Mine is much slower than that naturally so I just haven't put in any effort into increasing it. That's something I keep saving for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After Thursday, it is a save for later thing. I don't want other spots to become problems before my race.

      Delete