Friday, February 10, 2017

Trivia About CU

Yesterday I was on the main campus all day for a new hire orientation of sorts.  It covers the structure of the university, the history, includes a walking tour, and lunch.  Lunch is important.

1) CU has 5 Nobel laureates.  1 in chemistry, and 4 in physics.  Sheldon Cooper eat your heart out!

2) Old Main is the oldest building on campus.  It used to be the only building on campus, so it was the campus, and the CU system.  Now it houses the heritage museum.


3) There are quite a few celebrities who attended CU, but didn't necessarily graduate.  Robert Redford is one of the most famous, but there's Larry Linville, Glenn Miller, and Christopher Meloni (plus more).

4) I didn't get a picture, but they have a wall with all their Olympians.  The most recent one being for the 2016 Olympics.

5) CU has a lot of ties to NASA.  Scott Carpenter, Jack Swigert, and Stuart Roosa.


16 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of Christopher Meloni! So awesome that he is an alum. He seems like a really nice guy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know he was an alumni until I saw this wall. Lots of famous faces.

      Delete
  2. We drove through CU this summer. Very pretty campus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very. I did learn they have uniform specs for the buildings. They don't have to be the same, but they have to look like a family.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you learned some interesting facts! My friend's kids used to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, interesting! I had no idea about any of this about CU! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew some, but not all. I like that they have this program for new employees.

      Delete
  5. I had no idea! That's a lot of nobel laureates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I'm sure others are working towards it ;-)

      Delete
  6. Wow, great history. it's always fun to learn neat facts at the place you work. Taylor Swifts dad went to the School I work at. (Some useless knowledge for ya)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice that they have this program. Since I work on east campus, it was good to get to know the main campus.

      Delete
  7. Interesting!

    We flew back from somewhere to Austin when we lived there, right after the summer Olympics -- a lot of swimmers/divers in Austin & I got to see a gold medal up close & personal. Can't even remember whose it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My college's coach's sister won a bronze in Turin. It was neat seeing it in person.

      Delete
  8. Wow, this is really cool. I NEED TO COME TO CO!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! there are lots of races here, with great scenery.

      Delete