Monday, February 13, 2017

Monday Musings 2/13

Whew!  I can't believe it's Monday, and I was a little sluggish getting up this morning.  Couldn't that alarm have gone off later in the morning (or not at all?). 


The weekend started Friday with an eye doctor's appointment, and getting a clean bill of health for my eyes.  Yay!  My prescription was updated, and I've got some trial lenses.  So far so good, but I'll wait a couple more days to order boxes for the year.  I was also told I'm a good candidate for Lasik, which I didn't know at all, and haven't considered.  I was told my prescription would need to remain the same for 4 consecutive years before being considered, and it's still having tiny changes from year to year.  I'm not comfortable about a laser doing surgery on my eyes, but it was good to hear everything is doing well.


Saturday was low key, but I followed my chiro's advice before completing my run, and I did a round of exercises before getting on the treadmill.  And guess what?  I knocked off 4.25 miles while playing with speed intervals during the first part, then hill intervals during the second part.  I felt like I could've run more, but 4.25 is another start, and the furthest I've run since Tink.  Now I just need to do it outside, but I'll work up to that.


Since we were getting some sort of front, but the forecast kept changing, I made an Olive Garden recipe in my crockpot, but I tweaked things.  I've made it before, but I didn't want to use kale (sorry, not sorry!), and used fresh spinach, and instead of chopped russet potatoes, I wanted gnocchi.  Both changes tasted very good, and I even threw in some shredded Parmesan cheese for good measure.  It hit the spot, and provided leftovers.


Sunday was busy, and is probably what I'm feeling this morning.  Since I played lacrosse in high school and college, I've been following CU's varsity team since their first ever season in 2014.  It's crazy how fast the sport is growing in this country.  I went to CU's home opener yesterday, where they were playing Northwestern, which has mulitple national championships, and was ranked 9th in the country before yesterday's game.  I also got to have a picture taken with Ralphie!  Her handlers are very protective of her, and won't let anyone get up and close to her pen.  She was there an hour prior to the game before being taken back to her ranch.


The game itself was amazing.  CU beat Northwestern in OT, 11-10, and after reading the stats of the game, CU's goalie has 19 saves, and there were 9 lead changes, the most being 2 goals at one time.  There was a lot of momentum shifts, and as the game was heading into OT, my heart was pounding and I was shaking.  Huh?  I'm not even playing!  It was a gorgeously sunny day, if a little chilly.  After the game, I made hot chocolate once I got home, then completed my chiro exercises.  They seem to be working!


Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a full week! That's great that the chiro exercises are working so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to be. I know I was on the treadmill, but it was a good run.

      Delete
  2. You did have a fun week! I know what lacrosse is, but I've never seen a game in my life.
    yay about the eyes, not everyone is a good candidate, I have a sister that broke down and did lasik and it's the best thing she's ever done, but then I've had others who get that dry eye thing after so there are risks. But if you're fine with glasses or contacts then why go for the risks now, right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know, but I don't know if I'll use that option. It was just generally good to know my eyes are still in good shape.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your 4.25 miles!! Those are some good running endorphins right there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt so good after the run. The fact I felt I could've gone farther was even better.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a really fun weekend & that soup looks yummy.

    Wish we had the sun (well, we do today) and a lack of snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was good. The gnocchi was so much better than the regular potatoes.

      Delete
  5. Oh awesome, I would love to watch a lacrosse match! I never have before. I have thought about Lasik, but my eyes still have not yet stabilized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine haven't either, which is why I was surprised to hear I would be a good candidate.

      Delete
  6. Glad you got in a good run- and awesome that it was your longest run since Think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt good. Once I got to 4 miles and my knee was still doing well, I wanted to push it.

      Delete
  7. I don't think I've ever seen a lacrosse game. Which is kind of sad since so many of my patients play lacrosse! But my son plays rugby and that's all I can watch right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men's lacrosse makes me cringe a little bit. Women aren't allowed to hit like that.

      Delete
  8. That soup sounds delicious! I've always wondered about lasik but the thought of a laser near my eyes worries me so much. I would love to not have to worry about contacts or glasses anymore, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That worries me too. I don't mind contacts, but if I did get tired of them, I know there is an option I can look into.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your longest run since Tink. It sounds like everything is falling into place with your chiro exercises and running. I've never seen a lacrosse game and would be clueless to the scoring and rules. Ralphie looks pretty intimidating. Thanks for linking, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralphie's small, but she is wild. She allows the handlers to run with her, but she is a wild animal, and they know that.

      Delete
  10. Your soup looks good! I love your substitutions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I used gnocchi instead of russet potatoes, and I'm using gnocchi from now on.

      Delete
  11. Oh wow that Olive Garden recipe does sound good! I've been trying different things in my instant pot! Loving it!
    Wow I bet Ralphie was glad to get back to grass. She does look a bit out of place on that concrete lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my crock pot, and it makes dinner so easy some days. And crock pot liners make cleanup a breeze.

      Delete