Wednesday, February 15, 2017

MIA Yesterday

Sorry about the no post yesterday... I missed Tuesday again.  Yesterday was hopefully the last big training I needed to do to finish getting access to everything I need for work.  It was an all-day thing, and 10 minutes before I went home, my energy was thoroughly zapped.  No running happened, even after I figured out a good Tuesday/Thursday plan.  I face planted on the bed for about 20 minutes while I tried to gather the strength to do my chiropractor exercises.  I finally did them, and felt better afterwards.


It seems I've been taking extra rest days that aren't planned at all.  Sometimes winter does that to me.  Sometimes summer does that to me.  I've learned if I'm dragging, the best thing to do is to take a rest day.  Allie enjoyed it because she hates it when I get home, change, then head to the fitness center.  If I'm home, I'm to stay home and give her attention.  Anybody else's furbabies act this way?  She's so excited when I get home, and looks like I'm abandoning her when I head to the gym.

Rest days seem to get a bad rap because runners normally love to go go go!  Over the years, I've learned my body can't go go go, and I've made peace with rest days.  If I'm not in the thralls of training, I enjoy them.  I didn't used to.  I used to get antsy that I was losing my fitness, and it took me years to be OK with putting my feet up and giving my legs some extra TLC.  There are days that I can't believe I'm taking another rest day, but I'd rather rest than get injured again.


Coaches' Corner with Running on Happy, Suzlyfe, Crazy Running Girl, and Coach Debbie Runs.

10 comments:

  1. My cats act like that too! Especially if I don't feed them dinner first :) I definitely enjoy my rest days when I get to the high mileage portions of a training plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She just wants to snuggle. I've been gone all day, and she wants attention.

      Delete
  2. Oh I feel exactly the same way about leaving Baylee. That is one reason I'm considering quitting the gym next month. I feel like I'm always leaving right after work to either go run or go to the gym. It makes me feel horrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so good at making us feel guilty...

      Delete
  3. Winter can make all of us feel like we need some extra rest days. Sounds like maybe that is just what you needed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuesday was busy, but it is easy to be lazy during winter.

      Delete
  4. Oh I never underestimate rest days. If I'm tired I take 'em! But winter totally makes me want to hibernate so sometimes I have to fight through the fatigue and just make it happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I can force myself to start running, then everything is fine. Some days, I'm not in the mood for any cardio.

      Delete
  5. Rest is so important! I think it can be tough to rest when we are used to always being on the go. Hopefully listening to our bodies will help to prevent injuries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned the hard way, and now I do listen when I need rest.

      Delete