Tuesday, February 28, 2017

A Running List of Exercises

My list of strengthening exercises is growing.  A lot of them are modifications to what I've already been doing, but my chiropractor in Boulder has made them more into movements that runners do.  The clamshells I used to do on the floor are now being done standing up with a resistance band.  The "dead bug" heel touches I was doing with a towel under my back are now being done with no towel.  To strengthen my low core, she wants my low back to be touching the ground at all times.  I'm also now doing the arm movements for a full dead bug to make it more challenging.  Glute bridges are now being down with two legs to start, then extending one leg, to mimic the running motion.  One legged squats are to be done with the tush back and the knee only extended to the toes.


The latest exercise I'm doing is to strengthen my calves.  20 seconds of walking on tippy toes, then 20 seconds walking only on my heels.  My calves are working harder because my ankles are a little unsteady, and she wants me to build up strength there too.  And no special inserts... I asked about whether I should get those, and she said that's more of a band-aid.  I'm still tempted while I build up strength, but $40 for SuperFeet is a bit much for something I'd want to remove if this is successful.

All of this is to be done twice a day.  I can do one session in my office during lunch, then when I do them at home, I do other exercises too to keep my muscles from getting used to things.  I really have written these down so I can remember them all.  At first, I only have a couple to do, then the list started getting longer, and I wanted to make sure I didn't forget any.

Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia





Coaches' Corner with Running on Happy, Suzlyfe, Crazy Running Girl, and Coach Debbie Runs. 

I've edited this since I got a question about standing clamshells.  It's hard to explain, but I'll try.  One leg works while the other balances.  My chiro wants the balancing leg to be hiked a little in the hip, to emphasize the area targeted area.

The working leg is diagonally behind the standing leg, and both are in a resistance band.  So picture the clamshell angle, but behind the standing leg.  Bring the working leg down, so the knees are parallel, then diagonally out again.  Two sets of 20 reps.  

I find, like in Pure Barre, the standing leg tires after the first set because now both hips have been worked.   

22 comments:

  1. Some of those things I already do -- a lot of things are things I just add in on my own. I actually try to switch it up and pick three different exercises to work my hips prior to my run -- in addition to my dynamic warmup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I don't want my muscles to stall out. I've got quite a few exercises to choose from.

      Delete
  2. The chiro gave my daughter who runs track a bunch of exercises last year when she pulled her hamstring (like mother like daughter, I swear). Glad you're giving these the attention they deserve because I know how easy it is to blow them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I've dealt with a pulled hamstring too, and rehab is key. I learned that the hard way.

      Delete
  3. Keep up the good work! My ankles have been weirdly creaky the past few weeks and I'm working on strengthening my feet and calves. I need to do single legged squats..I'm terrible at them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ankles are always creaky, but I sprained them a lot playing soccer.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good plan! Its always good to do exercises that are similar to the running motion. I hope these help you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. She modified some I'd been doing to make more runner efficient.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to take note of this and maybe modify some of my exercises as well. How do you do a standing up clamshell?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I edited above to try to explain. The youtube videos I watched didn't have what I'm doing.

      Delete
  6. I've been doing planks, but I really need to start adding some more things as my body has been having some cranky moments lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all my body is is cranky. Gotta work OT for that.

      Delete
  7. Ankle strength is so important, but so underappreciated. Glad you are really working them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even realize my calves were working due to that. It's good to know, and good to work on it.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing! I need to work on strengthening my ankles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't surprised I need to, but my ankles weren't on my radar.

      Delete
  9. I used to do the walking on my toes and then heels. Have no idea why I stopped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are new to me, but I'm being a good patient.

      Delete
  10. Those standing clamshells would fit nicely into my "kinesthetic awareness" routine! Hip strengthening and balance all in one handy dandy exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add in that I do these in socks or barefeet. She said shoes provide a false stability.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a challenging move. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The balance part is challenging. Lots of movement and coordination.

      Delete