Friday, February 3, 2017

5 Sports I've Tried

I saw late Wednesday, Feb. 1 was national women and girls in sports day.  I can't think of all the positives I've gotten out of sports, but there are quite a few.  I've been active my whole life, and probably a little ADD to go with it, but I think that's natural.  I've mentioned how I played soccer through high school, then lacrosse through my junior year of college, but those weren't the only sports I've done.


1) Dance/gymnastics.  I did classes at Tucson's equivalent of the Y, but it really wasn't the Y.  I think it was more an area rec center, but it had plenty of classes for kids.  It was basically a place for young'uns to run around and release energy while parents watched.

2) Basketball.  This one didn't stick, but when you're in elementary school gym, you get exposed to a lot of different sports.  I went to a couple basketball camps during the summer, but I didn't pursue it.


3) Ice skating.  This was a big fat NO.  I never took official lessons, but we had a frozen rink in Wisconsin, and I tried ice skating for a couple weekends.  Ice and I never got along.

4) Field hockey.  This was one I tried over the summer, but was still in love with soccer.  Soccer was the first sport I fell in love with enough to play, and I still watch games whenever I can.  Field hockey was so different, and my stubborn nature left that and went back to footie.


5) Tennis.  I also tried tennis over a summer.  I stopped when I got a blister on my thumb.  I know, oh so tough then, but it was the first summer in Massachusetts, and I'd discovered lacrosse only that very spring.  I'd never seen a game of lacrosse, but that was calling.


Friday Five 2.0 with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy.

12 comments:

  1. I did gymnastics and field hockey and loved both. I am surprised that not many schools offer field hockey anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about field hockey until we moved to Boston. But I was completely wrapped up in soccer.

      Delete
  2. My biggest regret is that I did not do any sports as a child! Love the field hockey outfit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was inevitable that I ended up in sports. I had so much energy to burn off.

      Delete
  3. Wow you did a lot! I play soccer when I was 6... quit softball after 2 practices in MS... quit track after 5 practices in HS... lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's important to try different sports. It's OK to not like some.

      Delete
  4. I was not good at sports. I tried dancing when i was little, and my mom was told that I might be better off trying something else...I tried tennis and almost broke my foot in the revolving door to the courts...but running worked out pretty well for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running's going pretty good! I may have stuck with dancing if I hadn't tried soccer.

      Delete
  5. Hahaha ice skating was a big fat no. My cousin was an incredible figure skater. She was one of those girls that was on the ice by 5 am before school started so she could get her workouts in. I think she still skates but not much. Anyways, I thought I wanted to be like her. Turns out I was terrified of the ice. So yeah, big fat no here too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"m OK with ice, I'm just not good at staying upright on skates. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd have played hockey.

      Delete
  6. It is so funny--field hockey was nowhere around me, but so many of my friends in college grew up playing it! I tried karate and soccer, but horseback riding was my love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karate might have been fun. As many sports as I tried, I didn't try that.

      Delete