Thursday, January 5, 2017

The Weirdest Start of a Job

I have to say the work pattern I've had so far is the strangest I've had when I've started a job.  I started writing this last night, waiting to see if work was going to be open today due to the snow storm.  I worked 3 days last week, then had a 4-day weekend, and now a snow storm.  We were sent home at 4pm yesterday, which is actually my current end time, and I was waiting last night for the announcement.  The first announcement was a 2-hour delay, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they ended up delaying more or canceling work altogether.  And they did close work this morning, when I was eating breakfast.  Don't worry, I woke up naturally with no alarm.

Two weeks of work, totaling 5 days.  It's quite a strange start to work, but since I'm still doing training modules and reading up on policies, I won't be missing much.

And I'm pretty sure I'm making people nervous with my Texas license plate.  I know what I'm doing, but they don't know that.  I spent 12 years in Boston, 8 of those years driving, and since I have a January birthday, some drivers' ed classes happened during snow storms too.  My first actual driving lesson was in snow.  Don't worry, I will be getting a Colorado plate, but apparently they're quite pricey, and I don't want the simple general plate.  Heck no!  The state has many charity plates, and there's one for Adopt a Shelter Pet.  That's the one I want. It comes with a paw print right in the middle of the license plate.  From the sounds of it, I have to save up since it's pricey, then part of the fee goes to charity.  Of course, I'll be dealing with the DMV too, and all I can think of is Zootopia:


I'm totally Judy Hopps, and may have to download a brand new book to make it through the ordeal.

12 comments:

  1. It's always nice to have delays and days off due to weather! Do you like CO weather better than TX? Or is it too early to tell?

    What are you doing at your new job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is too early to tell, but I've been here in the spring when it was perfect weather. Hopefully that'll show up soon.

      Delete
  2. Haven't seen zootopia, but although I don't recall the details, getting my license & plates here when we moved was a nightmare and took multiple trips -- they often told you you needed yet another thing at the next visit. Grrrr. Hope it goes smoother for you!

    Must be some snowstorm for them to send you home. It's rare for people to be sent home around here (upstate NY) -- same way when I lived in VT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas wasn't too bad, but it was still a wait. I'm not looking forward to the DMV, but I'll get it done.

      Delete
  3. I loved Zootopia, but I love anything like that.
    I've had a few vanity/charity plates: I had one that said my horse's show name and then one for Historic Preservation. My husband had one in VA (it is super cheap there so that have the most vanity plates in the nation). My dad always had an education one, and my mom now has one that said her horse's name (after I had mine).
    We are just vain, yo ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paw print in the middle of the plate is too cute to not have.

      Delete
  4. Wow what's the weather like there for work to close?? I don't think I ever worked anywhere here that actually closed. It was kind of a try to make it in eventually scenario. I'd be all over that charity plate as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a pretty good storm, and I've found out Boulder, of all places, is bad at plowing.

      Delete
  5. I think Minnesota plates follow the same rule as Colorado - where they charge you based on the value of the car? So yeah, I get that it's pricey!! That's funny about people nervous about your Texas plates - I haven't changed mine yet, so I bet I get the same thing! Hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey you could get use to that work schedule right?
    We have charity type tags too, also personalized ones. That is what I have. Hoping this new week will bet in a better routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could, but I'm not getting anything done. This week we're planning on getting me into the system to get familiar with what I'll be doing.

      Delete