Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Price of Admission

Today's topic is race registration, and how high we are willing to go.  For me, it depends on the race, but even then some well-run races get to a point where I have to draw the line.  Disney races are a big example, and their prices go up every year.  As much as I love the 10k medals Disney has designed, I can't do all the Disney races, and have to spread them out.

When I look at a race, I look at what's offered, and what I get out of it.  I paid $65 for the BolderBoulder, and that was for the tech package, which was a little bit more than the standard package.  In contrast, I paid $110 for the Tinkerbell 10k.  I do my homework, and see what I am getting out of a race.  Disney obviously, is at one of now 3 Disney resorts, and while I don't think BB has a medal, you do get to run in Boulder.  If you have the Flatirons for scenery, use them!


Part of my research is what the races have been like in the past.  I'm not willing to spend too much for a local race, but if it has a medal and/or post-race festival, then I'll consider it.  Festivals can be fun, though the last race I did with a festival it was freezing, and it ended up being in a concert shed.  I'm also not willing to drive that far for a local race.  My max was an hour tops in DFW, but I'm learning things aren't as far in Colorado.  Towns are much closer than they appear on the map, so maybe I'll end up doing more local races than before, especially once I can meet up with the Oiselle crew.  It's always more fun to run a race with people you know.


Tuesdays on the Run with PattyErika, and Marcia.

8 comments:

  1. Truth be told, if Disney races were a little cheaper, I'd probably run one. I always thought I'd run the Princess Half when my girls were younger, alas they were over the Disney thing before I got around to it. I just don't love Disney enough to go there myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Princess was a lot of fun, but the WDW half marathons are too crowded for me now.

      Delete
  2. Omg, I can't believe the Tinkerbell 10k was $110! I don't judge anyone on the money they spend on races. I look at them as experiences, and those are PRICELESS. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great weekend too, but now the 10k's are $120. At some point I'm going to have to stop being interested.

      Delete
  3. I tend to look at the overall experience, too, when setting a limit for a race. Of course, these days, just about any race is too high for me, so I've been trying to increase my volunteering at the local races. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next destination race I want to try is RnR. They have some fun places.

      Delete
  4. Its funny because I understand why most races have to charge what they do, for most it's out of their control. But Disney is different, not only do they run them on their own property but they run them with their own current staff, so they don't have to pay huge permitting fee's (I would assume) as most. Plus they get at least one day park pass by everyone who travels, they of all races could probably reduce their prices and still make plenty profit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand prices at Disneyland since they have to use Anaheim roads and services, but WDW you never go off property.

      Delete