Monday, January 23, 2017

Monday Musings 1/23

Ever had to talk to wildlife while on a run?  Colorado has geese, and in some cities, they're protected (WTF Fort Collins??).  At least they're not protected in Boulder, but you still have to deal with them. I finally got outside for a run yesterday after breaking out my new NB shoes, and buying a new pair of running tights.  The tights ended up being perfect on the run.  It was still nippy in the shade, but thankfully once I started towards the Boulder Creek path, I got beyond the buildings and into the sun.  This is where a small flock of geese were, right where the trail starts.  They weren't scattered on the path, but near enough to it that I slowed down and started talking.  If anyone was behind me, they would've though I was nuts.


Geese can be vicious.  My mom and I got hissed at by one a couple summers ago.  We were giving the whole flock a wide berth because we know their reputation, but the look-out goose still stood and hissed.  So this time, not only did I make sure I was on the far side of the path, but I was talking, hopefully soothingly as I ran by.  Yes, I was determined to make it past them without breaking my stride.  It seemed to work because they didn't seem to care.  Whew!  It's winter, so shouldn't they be further south?

The other wildlife I saw coming back a different way (to avoid the geese) were prairie dogs.  Prairie dogs are abundant in Colorado, and the running path goes right through a field of their holes.  There were a couple scampering about as I passed, but I didn't stop to take pictures.  My phone is my iPod when I run outside, and I would've had to stop running, unhook my headphones, and pull the phone out of my armband.  They were scampering around to each hole, but I don't think I phased them.  They must be used to humans running by.


Sunday was another Pure Barre class.  OMG.  I was already feeling the workout two hours after the class ended.  I'm absolutely not a newbie at this, but the last two classes have been incredibly challenging.  That's always a good thing, and if this studio challenges me a little bit more, great!  I'm very happy to be back at it after a month away, but my muscles are taking a beating.  I definitely made time for my foam roller Sunday afternoon, and I bought Icy Hot to help out too.  On my way home I stopped by a store and got a roll of Rock Tape.  I got my medical benefits card, so between getting back to the chiropractor and getting more Rock Tape, I hope to have many more runs outside.

Linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for Weekend Wrap-up.

16 comments:

  1. I know geeses' reputations, but so far, knock on wood, I haven't had problems with them. And they are abundant around here, too (some paths you really have to watch where you're stepping).

    Our weather is going to be very messy this week -- I'm pretty sure tomorrow's run will be on the treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least this flock didn't even make a move towards me. They were busy grazing.

      Delete
  2. We have a ton of geese around here and they can be pretty aggressive. When I encounter a gaggle of them, I just run right at them. They hiss but they back away!

    The goose poop is a whole other story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about goose poop. I had to play a soccer field in high school that was a flock's bathroom.

      Delete
  3. I love Prairie dogs! I didn't realize they were so prevalent in Colorado. When we go in the mountains we always see yellow bellied marmots. They are cute too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents have ground squirrels running around, which are a marmot cousin. They torment the cats thinking they're so brave on the other side of the windows.

      Delete
  4. I did know geese could be mean so I'd be hesitant to run close to them. Big birds kind of freak me out anyway.
    I always thought prairie dogs were so cute ! Are they friendly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but I didn't scare them. They must be used to humans because their colony is in a busy area.

      Delete
  5. We just have foxes and deer around here! Glad the new gear is working out. Feeling the burn after a workout is always a good sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good, but my goodness, getting up from my desk was difficult today. I need a foam rollers for my office.

      Delete
  6. Geese are the worst! :-( I've never tried talking to them, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't think of anything else to let them know I meant them no harm. All I wanted to do was get by them unscathed.

      Delete
  7. There are quite a bit of geese both at the lake where the campground is and also the lake in town where there is a park. Thankfully they do get out of your way but I've heard stories of them coming after you in the spring when babies are around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand with babies around, but other times of the year, they don't have to be so mean.

      Delete
  8. Well, I've never encountered geese during a run. Or, prairie dogs. I must live a sheltered life. LOL. It sounds like you are settling in nicely in Colorado! Thanks for linking, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first prairie dog sighting on a run. Gotta run through the right fields.

      Delete